Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Way to Clean Calcium Deposits off Tile and Grout

Posted by concretehole (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 19:34

We went with a dark tile and grout and over the winter I have had calcium build up under the sheer-decent, spa waterway, and around the water line where it was raised by the rains.

I searched this board and saw white vinegar was suggested several times and I found it worked well on the light calcium build ups but on the heavy white areas it could not cut through.

I am wondering what the pros use to clean tile and grout? I heard something about vinegar and salt mixture but I have no idea. There are commerical products like CLR. Also, I don't want to scratch so do I use a soft sponge or something with a little rougher surface such as the back of a scotch-brite sponge.

I am hoping someone out there has the magic solution!

Thanks for any replies and everyone have a great pool season!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Way to Clean Calcium Deposits off Tile and Grout

You need to be extremely careful, but you can dilute a small amount of muratic acid and water. We have a dark tile and grout and I have a small amount of calcium build up. When I have to add acid, I reserve a small amount and apply it with a tooth brush...then IMMEDIATELY rinse it off with pool water. I only let it sit on the grout for seconds. But it works. Be careful of your eyes and skin!!!

o

The only way to clean off the calcium deposits is to hire a company that does glass bead blasting. The glass beads are under air pressure and they literally blast off the calcium and leave the tile untouched. A couple of years ago I was quoted $3.00 a linear foot for cleaning.

Cliff s

o

The glass bead blasting is terrific. However, the cost in my area is prohibitive so ... I bought my own small unit that works with my existing air compressor. For a total of $145 I can now do it myself.

o

Bead blasting also makes a huge mess.

o

I did blasting for awhile and it's really not too expensive for the finished product. It is very messy but if done by a reputable company, it looks great. Try to find a TileSavers franchise in your area. They are decent.

Some have now gone to an epsom salt process that does absolutely no damage to the tile which is common for beads and it's only slightly more expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here