Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool costs on Long Island?

Posted by twingle (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 19:05

We are thinking of adding an ING pool. I wondering about cost estimates so I don't have sticker shock. I'm thinking of a pool @ 20 x 40 (I have 2 acres ). People around here seem to get vinyl pools over gunite. I don't know why. Maybe its too cold here for gunite?? Or cost? This is what I'm thinking about I'm not commited to a specific shape.

Option #1
L shape
The deep end I would like pretty deep 10 -12 ft (DH is 6'7 and my 4 boys are off the charts in height. so I'd like a deep , deep end)
I would like the steps that go across the whole shallow end
shallow end around 3.5 ft
deep water bench
diving board
Solar heater
maybe a slide
probably saline filter system
auto vaccuum
pool light
timer
** automatic pool safety cover really want this. 4 sons under 10. I'd like to flip a switch and close pool when I'm not out there

Option #2
retangle or similar
The deep end I would like pretty deep 10 -12 ft
I would like the steps that go across the whole shallow end
shallow end around 3.5 ft
deep water bench
diving board
Solar heater
maybe a slide
probably saline filter system
pool light
automatic vaccuum
** automatic pool safety cover

I don't know if gunite is even in my price reality. I was guess a mating $30,000.

What do you think???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool costs on Long Island?

The automatic pool covers are NOT cheap. I am in a pretty expensive area too (between Baltimore and D.C) and I know what I am paying and it is a lot higher than that. The base price of my pool (without heater, slide, diving board, fire pit and all the extra's) wasn't even anywhere near that price. Solar heat for my pool (1000 sq ft) was 7K alone. We already have a propane tank so we are going with a Propane heater for our spa and pool. I know all the PB's I had in wanted to charge me more if I went over 9' deep. There has to be a certain ratio for the slope from the shallow end to the deep end so with a deep end that deep you might have a small shallow end. I am sure some of the experts on here will be able to explain that one a little better than me. It can't hurt to get some estimates. Be sure to do a lot of research. This is a great place to start and there are a few PB's on here that offer fantastic trustworthy advice. Many of the people who have built pools have a lot of great input too. Based on some of the feedback I have gotten from this site, I have been able to question my PB about my project much better than I would have without it. I had a problem with my pool and I got help here BEFORE I could get in touch with the PB since it was a weekend.

o

$30K on the island might get you an 18x36 with no frills.

Forget about solar in our geo. You will have winterization problems constantly.

Its a supply and demand issues WRT why there are so few gunite pools out there.

Scott

o

If the solar is raised, all you do is shut off 2 valves and open the drains. I can't recall a system that was ever properly drained freezing.

$30k might get you a basic pool, with minimal decking, but the cover and any other bells and whistles will cost you $10k-$15k more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here