Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool to Pond Conversion

Posted by FLBlueHouse (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 19:01

Hello,

I have an empty unused pool in my backyard. It currently has a foot of dirty green water with turtles, frogs, and whatever in it. I was wondering if I just fill it up with water and introduce plants. Then wait a week before introducing fish. Or do I have to completely empty it out and prep it first before converting to a pond?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool to Pond Conversion

Are you planning any filtration? If not it will eventually become smelly and annoying regardless of what you put or don't put in it. But yes, if it is sunny you could wait a week and then add fish. Without filtration I would not introduce anything larger than Gambusia (Mosquito fish).

o

Thanks so much for the response! I didn't realize there was a section here for ponds. Anyway, no I do not plan on using the pool's pump or filtration system. I want a completely natural pond setup. I read some of the other blogs and it doesn't seem much of an issue. I just was wondering what the opinion was of others on here.

I was reading that the Mosquito fish breed rapidly and will take over the entire pond, so I was thinking about introducing 5 Comet goldfish instead. And with the exception of many plants and manually skimming the surface of the water weekly, the only other treatment I'd would be adding a bi-monthly all-natural algae control.

o

Mosquito fish do breed pretty rapidly but they are fairly self sustaining and they tend to level off after a certain amount of time. The first year I had them I panicked about the numbers and removed a bunch of them throughout the summer. Didn't make a difference. Then after the fist year I just stopped paying attention and about 8 years later they are no more dense then they were that first year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here