Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gorilla_x

How do I plug up a skimmer

gorilla_x
12 years ago

Been a long time since I posted.

I have a pool with 2 skimmers. On one skimmer, the pipe that connects to the bottom of the skimmer is cracked and is leaking pretty bad. I can see the crack if I look into the skimmer hole... it's where the pipe connects to the skimmer. The company that built the pool went out of business in 2008 (about 6 months after construction was completed).

I had an estimate of $1100 for a company to pull up the brick paving deck, replace the skimmer, and then replace the pavers. Sounds high to me. So what I'd like to do is plug the skimmer hole.

I tried using that putty/resin stuff (2 tubes, and you mix the putties together). That lasted a few weeks, then leaked again. Then I tried a glue/sealer meant for boats. That lasted few weeks too. The crack is pretty large... looks like is is about 1/2 the circumference in length.

Is there a pre-made plug that can fit into the skimmer hole (located just under the basket)? I figure that's what I'll need, and some silicone.

What do you suggest? Need to make this last 1-2 years before I embark on a repair.

Thanks...

Comments (6)