Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old slide in the shallow end--bad?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 17:32

I'm in the process of attempting to purchase a home with a pool built in 1962. As advised by y'all, it was inspected by a pool pro who said that the slide should be removed because it went into the shallow end and that is dangerous. I guess people lived on the edge in the sixties.

Is that really a danger? It's one of those scary-looking old fashioned slides--if anything I'd be concerned about a little kid falling off of it before he hit the water.

Would you remove it...or go down it a few times and see if you hit bottom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old slide in the shallow end--bad?

Lose it. No if, and or butts about it. Your insurance company will thank you.

Scott

o

http://www.srsmith.com/_posted_resources/rogue-installation.pdf

The pool needs to be 3' at the end of the slide, and 4'6" deep at 4'6" out and continue to be 4'6" for 13' total.

Would I install on on a pool less than that, NO!

Would I remove one from my pool that were installed in water less than that? Probably not. Slides are fun.

I'd wait for my insurance dude to say something before I assumed he's have a problem with it.

o

Ditto racket,
And add as long as the slide itself is safe and secure.
If it is that old it may not be.
And follow proper slide safety, like no head first, one person at a time, ect.

o

Hmm. I will take some measurements--the inspector didn't measure anything (including depth). He just said it was stable but on the wrong end of the pool.

I probably SHOULD remove it--a pool is a big enough temptation for a 2 year old without a slide--but it's just so darn kitschy!

Thanks for the perspectives! (next up: fence and alarm research...)

o

Whether the insurance guy says yeah or nay, to me is secondary. Older slides are dangerous and kids do stupid things so fast, IMHO, it's just the right thing to do.

Scott

o

What makes older slides more dangerous than new ones?

o

Low sides, very little railing. The fact that there is a pool nearby is the least concerning thing about it! I'll have to get pictures when I get a chance.

o

We have a slide in our pool. Was there when we bought the home. It was damaged a few years ago in a hail storm and insurance paid to replace it. However, there was only one local company that I could find that would even do the actual install. No one would do it due to liability issues. Not even the original pool company would do it.

o

You have a 2 year old; I assume you've taken him to the park. Does he use the slide the way the designers intended?

No, I thought not. He won't for many years yet. How many, I cannot say; my eldest is only 10. But "walk up ladder, sit nicely, say wheee" is not a preferred method of slide use among any children I know. And compliance with the "no pushing" rule will be as low as he can get away with.

o

It's going. The bungee cord holding the railings together didn't help its case much. Maybe I'll reinstall it on the lawn somewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here