Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
variable or 2-speed pool pump

Posted by flyingchanges33 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 16:06

I put this on TFP, but hoping for more insight. Looks like the variable will be $550-$700 more. We have an older passive solar on our 1 story roof right near the pool. We pay up to .33 in summer and .23 in winter (ack) for PGE (we have a well pump too). I wouldn't mind going for it and buying a Pentair VF *IF* I thought if would last or had a 3 yr warentee at least. Such a gamble! Wish I knew the fail rate. Advice?
spec: 17K gal, IG, plaster, DE, flow rate 72, Hayward 1.5 HP, Booster 3/4 HP, Polaris, solar 1 story, 2 1/2" pipe, Santa Rosa CA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: variable or 2-speed pool pump

I think we will go with the variable speed pump. Can we then get rid of our (too powerful) Booster pump to run sweep, but only run sweep for 1 hr a day or so? Would that then be 3 power levels needed, low for no solar, med for solar and high for solar with sweep?

Does the timer on the pump work this way or do we need to add a controller?

pool spec: 17K gal, IG, plaster, DE, flow rate 72, Hayward 1.5 HP, Booster 3/4 HP, Polaris, solar 1 story, 2 1/2" pipe, Santa Rosa CA

o
RE: variable or 2-speed pool pump

The timer is complete and will do what you wish.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here