Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprillh

Pool builder in Houston

April
10 years ago

Hi all, we are building a house and are looking to get quotes from pool builders in Houston. I searched the forum and found a thread but it is closed so I can't post there. From searching the forums, it looks like a lot of pool builders are in Katy, Cypress, Clear Lake, etc. Are there good pool builders in town that won't zip code gouge? We are building in the Spring Valley area and aren't looking for a massive pool but just a good one for our family of 5. So far, we have contacted Simonton Pools and Cobalt Custom Pools and will be getting quotes from them soon. Has anyone worked with them? We are open to other recommendations too. BTW, we are interested in a saltwater pool and do not want a pool builder who will not build SWG or will try to talk us out of it.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• ktm250sx
    9 years ago

We are in the process of selecting a pool builder and have interviewed 6 companies. We narrowed it down to companies that have been in business for several years and referrals, all with an excellent reputation. Hipp Pools, Cypress Custom pools, Sundance Pools, Atlantis Pools, Pierce Pools, South Beach pools. It's been odd as were expecting to easily narrow it down to 2 or 3 but really liked everyone that has visited. I'd say two may be eliminated due to who they use for their gunite as we prefer one specific gunite company. We haven't totally excluded them yet but have given them a minus for this one issue.

We are on the North side in Magnolia but know several, if not all, of them build throughout the Houston area, We are waiting on the bid returns and expect all of them with the next week.

• April
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have interviewed two so far, Simonton and Cobalt Custom, and we really like them both. I am also surprised at how difficult this is turning out to be. Thanks for listing the companies you are considering. Tell me why you prefer the particular gunite company. I've heard others say they prefer a certain PebbleTec or Wet Edge vendor too. I'm not sure what/why I should be asking!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I had my pool renovated by Pool Works and I would use them again. They do new builds as well as renovations. They are on the NW side of town and I am far north. Up here, Wise Pools and Texas Pools have been longtime solid companies, but there area dozens if not hundreds of newer companies that run the gamut so get recs as well as bids. Most will go anywhere in the area.

I know you said you don't want to be talked out of saltwater but I am wondering why you are so committed to the idea. I used to want to switch, but I have heard from many sources that the saltwater equipment doesn't hold up in our humid weather. We were ready to switch over more than once, but we kept hearing the same thing -- even after waiting and thinking the equipment would get better. Seems the only thing that has changed over the last 15 years is that folks are cooling to saltwater pools in humid climates. The cells deteriorate in this weather and they are more prone to problems and expensive repairs than standard chlorinators. The advice now is to use a smaller amount of salt to soften your water but not to generate the chlorine for sanitizing.

You do realize that you are still using chlorine to sanitize the pool -- you just have a cell that generates most of the chlorine from the salt? You will pay more to build it, maintain it and repair it and those who won't even try to question your choice are looking out for their wallet rather than your long term satisfaction.

If you want it, there is someone who will sell it to you, but my repair guy, my neighbors and the supply shops around here all report the same thing -- it will probably be great for the first 2-3 years but will have more problems and expensive repairs down the road. I don't know anyone who has been happy with a home saltwater pool long term in this climate. There might be a reason reputable builders are questioning your preferences.

• April
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's interesting. We have lots of friends with saltwater and they are very happy. I guess it just depends... I do realize that a salt water generator is producing the sanitizer (chlorine). I prefer that because of the feel of the water and the effects of chlorine on hair and skin. It never fails, after getting in a chlorine pool, 2 of my 3 kids' eczema flares. We realize we will have to replace the salt cell every 4-5 years and are ok with that. I also really appreciate not having to lug gallons of bleach every month. Couple bags of salt and the pool will make it's own.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

The repairs are the main reason you are getting the questions, and if you know you will have to replace the cells more often than folks used to be told and are okay with that, then it may be good for you. Most folks just get tired of expensive repairs. Good luck.

• April
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't understand... I'm not get any questions, or pushback...?? I am just looking for a pool builder that is on the same page as we are so we are not wasting anyone's time. We have some good options now though, but I appreciate your feedback.

• ktm250sx
    9 years ago

We prefer Modern Method for the gunite and the Pebble tech or Pebble sheen. They have been around a long time and have an excellent reputation. We've built one other pool and they were used on that pool. Seems the more popular pool companies use Modern Method also. Others may be just as good but personally I prefer Modern Method.

Our previous pool was salt water and we loved it. We never had any issues and it was 11 years old when we sold the house in The Woodlands last summer. We were dead set on salt water again and initially wouldn't even discuss other options until we talked to all 6 companies that have been over. We are going to use the Ozone system or whatever it's called.

I think we are done with the interviewing and just waiting on the bids and designs. We pretty much know the design we want and gave them a drawing so now just need to decide once I get the price quotes. As I stated before all have been excellent and we really liked all of them which is surprising. Last pool my wife and I easily narrowed it down to two builders. Sundance pools was over today and what I really liked about him was he didn't try to sell us a bunch of other items we don't want or need. Almost all the others tried to sell us a bunch of other stuff. We already have a huge covered area and outdoor kitchen, house is basically brand new at only 6 months old.

This post was edited by ktm250sx on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 14:51

• ktm250sx
    9 years ago

So far we've gotten quotes back from four of the six companies we interviewed. Personally, I think a week to a week and a half is sufficient time to get a quote back. We've narrowed it down to two and hope to hear from the two remaining companies in the next day it two otherwise they wint be considered as it'll be two weeks.

One company has no issue in installing a salt water pool. As I stated earlier we had our previous pool (built new) for 11 years and loved the salt water system. No issues whatsoever with anything.

• womanowned
    9 years ago

Who did you end up picking?

• April
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We haven't made a decision yet. We met with one other pool builder, Dale Dentler with 3D Pools and Landscape. He charges a nominal fee to have his architect (?) design the pool and landscaping (we will need it all done). We are awaiting a bid from Cobalt Custom Pools too and then we will decide who to go with.

• Idratherbgolfing
    9 years ago

Who did you end up picking?

• April
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Simonton Pools was the winner. Great design, just 'got' everything we wanted, many years of experience and great references. Plus he's just an all around nice guy and didn't try to hard sell us on anything. We hope to sign the contract next week.