Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megankheaps

My MD Pool build

megankheaps
13 years ago

Hi All,

I have been on this site for about 6 months now and I thought it was time I posted MY pools specs. We are in the middle of our build (began in Sept and sat all winter) and I am being told they will be back out tomorrow to start the spring work (not holding my breath). Now, if someone would explain to me how to post pics on this site I will be happy to show my pools progress. We are so excited for the completion of this project that we have been dreaming about for years. We are located between Baltimore and DC but my PB is out of Frederick, MD. All the pool equipment will sit on a concrete pad behind a "shed"/"pool storage house" that I bought.

1000 sq. ft, free form gunite construction

50 sq. ft hot tub 7'D raised 18" with stone wall (real stone,, not veneer), 2 spillways 12 jets (or hot pool as my 3 y/o calls it)

3'-9' water depth

rectangular flagstone

1300 sq. ft exposed aggregate patio w/expansion foam

All Building permits

3 cyclac vari-flow skimmers

Gravel bottom, Structural steel reinforcing with #3 93/8"0 Steel skeleton tied on 12" centers both ways with continuous 4 bar beam using #4 (1/2" steel)

Gunite to be a minimum of 6" in floor and vertical walls, 8" cover and 14" bond beam

Notched beam construction

Polaris 3900 sport

tanning ledge w/2 bubblers

Pentair Intellitouch I9

3 benches (2 on each side of deep end and 1 under spa spillover)

Choice of Pentair Triton II Sand, Quad D.E., or Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge (we chose cartridge)

6" tile line and accent tile (LUV tile-BIC-NERO)

Trucked in pool water

BioGuard Chemicals

Hose bib

White plaster standard (Pebble Fina and diamondbrite $9K, Tec 11K)

Loop Loc custom cover

8' SR Smith Diving board Supreme stand w/ frontier III board

SR Smith Basketball hoop installed in concrete

2 intelliBrite color changing lights in pool, 2 on bench under spas shining up into spillover and 1 in spa (5 lights total)

Pentair 60 Salt system IntelliChlor

Pentair 400,000 BTU Propane heater

32' Dolphin water slide in medium gray

Pennsylvania steppers (stones) for steps to get to top of slide

Elegant Aluminum 5' Fence-aprox 240 lin. ft

3 Blue Crab Mosaics PM-CRAB 9" x 6" (one for each bench), PORC-BT10 10"x 10" Turtles x 3 for tanning ledge

5'D, 3'D opening 18" raised propane fire pit (stone will match that of spa)

Megan

Comments (13)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Gonna be a nice pool.

To post pix:

Make a Photobucket account and put your pix in an album.

Each pic will have 4 options for posting, you want the 3rd. Copy the code in the gorum message box, one pic per line.

White space between the pix can be used to add notes.

I recommend at least one white space line between pix. Sometimes the pix are referenced and the white space makes counting much easier.

Scott

• megankheaps
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Let's give it a try.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Did I see only one set of drains in the spa? Typically, with two different levels of loops, you need two pumps, one per loop. Two air sources are also normal, such as two blowers. This is because it is next to impossible to get the jets balanced with a single pump and two loops. Twelve jets is a lot to ask of one pump. Are the drains plumbed to a 2.5" line back to the equipment pad?

The slide specs and drawing don't seem to match.

The stone, coping and tile look very sharp and well done.

Scott

• megankheaps
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We just upgraded the slide within the last 3 weeks and the drawing was done in Aug. so it is not correct. The fire pit is not on the drawing either. The drawing was done for the 15' 5" slide. We are not sure exactly how the patio will be laid out yet either but we were quoted for 1300sq ft. They told me they would lay it out well in advance so I can move it if I would like more or less in a certain area.

As for the other questions I am not 100% sure. We told him we wanted the maximum amount of jets that we can have on that pump and still get max. pressure. There are pipes sticking out of the back of the spa with a separate valve, if that answers your question. I will have to get a pic of the back of the spa and post it. They have 2 valves under pressure at this time. One is out of the spa and one out of the deep end. The pad has not been laid yet and trenches have not yet been dug so I don't know about the line. They are planning to come out tomorrow to begin grading the dirt. We had 3+'" of rain here last week and it is still really wet. I have a shed that I bought that they need to place. All the eqip. will go behind the shed. My husbands biggest pet peeve is being able to see the eqip. in plain view.

Before I added the fire pit and larger slide he was telling me they had about 14 days of physical labor left, not counting permit checks. I was hoping to have it done by April 15th but between rain and other factors I don't see that happening. I really need time to get out and landscape before the pool party season begins. We have a grass service so we don't want any grass inside the fenced in area. We have a lot of work to do.

I was so happy with the spa stone. I was shocked when the were using individual stones. I assumed it would be stone veneer. The fire pit will have the same stone. As you can see they ran out of coping for around the spa but they will be back to do the fire pit coping so they will finish then.

• meganheaps_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Well, my pool is almost finished except for the fence so I have decided to post some pics. Enjoy.

• megankheaps
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry the above pics show me as signed in differently. It is all the same pool. I was not paying attention when I posted and didn't sign in to my account.

• trhought
    12 years ago

megankheaps...turned out great!

The football sliding pics are hilarious...who did your slide...slidescapes or dolphin...ours is slidescapes and looks similar in construction with a couple small differences...just curious if these are changes that have been made since we installed ours in 2007 or just a different company design.

Congrats.

• trhought
    12 years ago

megankheaps...Thanks...yeah...there is a lot to these type of slides...small things I noticed, but that is me being anal also...I'm familiar with these type of slides since I installed ours and have hands on knowledge...ours is 72 feet and beige but the actual slide segments look identical in design to yours.

Enjoy!

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

How are the spa's jets?

Scott

• cmanley33
    12 years ago

Hi! You have my dream pool! I am in the process of getting quotes for an inground pool and I am in central, MD. Can you tell me who installed your pool and if you were happy with the process?? I am so nervous about hiring the wrong people. I have read so many nightmare stories about different companies. Thank you!

• banana_fanna
    12 years ago

It looks great. Congratulations! Someone in a football helmet ought to get a framed copy of that pic for his birthday. Sooo funny.

• katiasmom
    last year

HI there! Not sure if you'll see this note since it's been so long since you finished your pool. I'm in Annapolis and getting ready to start a major pool renovation. I love your deck and coping. Do you remember the names of the products? Thanks for any info.