Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Granite on spa spillway.

Posted by luvh20 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 15:07

Has anyone used granite for the spa spillway? If you did, were there any problems later?
Our last spa had a flagstone spillway,and over time starting flaking off. But I did like how it overhung about 2 inches from the face of the spa with the water flowing off it.
I haven't seen, or don't know how it can be done, with just a tile spillway with the same overhang.

The width of the spillway is 3 feet, so granite shouldn't be a high cost.Just don't know how well it will hold up with saltwater over time.

Any thoughts, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Granite on spa spillway.

We use granite all the time, and its a very good material for this application.

o

My PB uses granite for nearly all his pools. He says a recent pool owner is trying a solid surface, but he doesn't know how that will hold up.
I've got to get my template and start shopping around for my granite soon....

Here's a link to my blog, where there's a picture of a really pretty granite spillover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite Spillover

o

racket: thanks for the reply,is there anything that has to be done different when attaching the granite to the spillway, or is it just the same as doing tile?

c9pilot: thanks for the info. After seeing that granite spillway, I definately want to do that.

o

We are putting in 2 granite spillways. Our problem is getting the water to flow out from the spillway instead of going under the piece of granite. Is there a special edge that needs to be finished on the granite to help this flow.

o

Geesh, it's been a year and I don't remember what my PB said about this, but he said that the granite was cut a certain way or a certain size so that the water would spill over it right - otherwise it wouldn't sheet over (flow?) correctly. I think this is what you're talking about. I would think that any experienced PB would know how it needs to be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here