Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deck foam

Posted by melderman (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 14:54

My pb says there is no need for foam cushion between deck and bond beam. I read the opposite, so what's the deal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deck foam

Sounds like you are getting a canter levered deck.

There should be a membrane between the top of the beam and the bottom of the deck. There should be expansion joints running away from the edge, either the plastic type that are usually white but come in gray and tan also, or saw cuts that are made while the cement is still green.

If you are getting poured in place coping, brick or stone coping, these should have a foam spacer between the coping and the decking if it;s concrete. After a while the foam will degrade and should be removed. THe space should be filled with some sand and then self leveling compound that is elastic in nature to seal the space between the two.

Sometimes pavers may get a similar treatment but that isn't the norm in my area.

Scott

o

I have flagstone coping. They're planning on pouring the deck directly against the beam and coping.

o

Stop them. Fire them if you have. Be firm. There MUST be an expansion joint. The pool and the deck will expand and contract at different rates.. Without the joint in place, the coping will become unstuck. If some walks on unstuck coping, it could fall into the pool and onto someone or gouge the plaster finish.

Please see my previous post.

Your PB should know better. Shame on him.

Scott

o

Thanks, this board has saved me. I'm disappointed I even have to check behind my pb.
Thanks again and I will demand it.
If there's anything else that is a must do between deck and the finish I'm open. I guess I now want to know all the must do's so I can check him. I'm getting quartz plaster and salt system.
Thanks again

o

Thanks, this board has saved me. I'm disappointed I even have to check behind my pb.
Thanks again and I will demand it.
If there's anything else that is a must do between deck and the finish I'm open. I guess I now want to know all the must do's so I can check him. I'm getting quartz plaster and salt system.
Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here