Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20188432

swim spa vs lap pool.. please vote

User
11 years ago

Hello,

We are trying to decide between a lap pool or a swim spa for exercise.

I don't hear much about swim spas, so I wonder it's because most people prefer pools or if it's just something people don't know much about. If you had the space for a lap pool, would you still consider a swim spa?

From what I can tell, the pros of a swim spa seem to be that you can swim really hard and not have to turn around (this is very appealing), they are smaller so easy maintenance, and they take up a smaller footprint.
A lap pool seems like it might be more peaceful and relaxing because there are no motor sounds and you can alter your speed while you swim without adjusting the controls. We are using solar so the energy to heat a bigger pool won't be an issue.

We have plenty of space to put in either one so I wanted to ask if anyone had any opinions on this. Thank you!!!!!

Comments (8)

• muddy_water
    11 years ago

I install swim spas and build lap pools as well. I think both truely have there place But if I had plenty of area to install I think I would go with the lap pool. Because the cost of maintenance is going to be about the same being that a swim spa is mostly specialty equipment rather than common in a lap pool. But if your looking for year round use and can put the swim spa indoors than that is the way I would go..

Rusty

• EJR_21
    11 years ago

I vote for the lap pool. Personally, I like to be able to vary my pace as I go and also very much enjoy the quiet and the ability to just float a bit at times.

• atxguy
    11 years ago

I build pools as well and I agree lap pool, and if you wanted it to be more an excersize pool you could add the BADU Jet system which is the same type system used in the swim spas.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    Thank you all so very much for sharing your opinions. It looks like it's a consensus which makes it so much easier for me!!!!

Rusty, sorry I'm replying so late but all your messages went to my junk folder. We are going to use solar and/or geothermal to heat the pool (and the house) because I want to use it year round without the guilt. So I think that will satisfy the reason to have the swim spa indoors. It was helpful to know that other than year round use that you'd chose a lap pool

EJR 21.. I'm so glad you mentioned that. I forgot how much I enjoy just floating!

Atxguy.. I didn't know about BADU, so thanks. I imagine with the lap pool we won't go to the expense of the jets, however it makes it easier to go down that path knowing there is flexibility.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

My pool is 20' by 40' medium gray plaster, and for swimming laps I added a contrasting dark slate tile on each end wall as a target touch tile, and also used slate tiles to create a "T" on the floor of the pool near each end for gauging flip turns.

This post was edited by mongoct on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 15:47

• Kay HIghsmith
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I totally recommend lap pool as well. You have pretty much covered, why I chose a lap pool. Swimming against the water current is not the thing for me. Like how people prefer walking outside, than treadmill. I prefer lap pool to swim spa. We had ours done by www.ferraripools.com . And I use them almost everyday and my vote is for Lap pools.

• Ron Natalie
    8 years ago

I purchased and installed my own Endless Pool about ten years ago. I've took it out when I sold my house and it's sitting (disassembled) in the garage awaiting the construction of it's new place. If you haven any question about EP, I'd be glad to answer.

The biggest fan of our EP was my triathlete son-in-law. A short length lap pool wouldn't have cut it for his training.