Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Pool Quotes in Houston TX

Posted by lilbluegal (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 13:05

Husband and I have been getting bids for a pool in Houston.

Our lot has a (small) slope - basically when you walk out the back door, you take a 3-4 inch step down and then the back of the yard slopes back up (so the back door frame and the dirt at the back fence are about the same height). The distance from the back door to the fence is about 50 feet.

We have basically had 3 stories from the pool builders who have come out to quote us, and I just don't understand how they can be so different.
1) no comment about the slope of the yard, build pool as normal. (drains, drains, drains)
2) slope is a big deal, basically we would have to remove our existing 20 feet of paver stones and raise all of the decking to back door level (a raise of about 3-4 inches like I said)
3) put a 6 inch "retaining wall" at the back of the pool (our ideal pool plan is geometric so the back is one straight line with a raised spa in one corner). We were told this would divert the water away from the patio.

I'm not sure which story I buy...it seems like adding 240 sf more decking (plus removing our existing paver stones) is just profit-minded, but I can't fathom how a retaining wall at the BACK of the pool would do much of anything and that is an extra cost, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Pool Quotes in Houston TX

3) with the 6" raised beam at the back is the only one that makes sense to me. It would stop rain water from your yard running straight into your pool every time it rains. Otherwise your yard with the slope is going to direct water into your pool. Raising the decking isn't going to stop that and seems a bit unnecessary.

Hopefully someone else will chip in too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here