Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brace a fiberglass pool for repair??

Posted by love2weed (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 12:34

The pool company is sending a Viking rep. out to look at the pool. They told us we have to get the pool drained and braced for them They said to use 2x4's. I am really scared to drain out pool--especially with all the spring rain. Can someone offer us some help on how to do this? I cannot find any pics or directions online.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brace a fiberglass pool for repair??

I know you won't like what I have to say but it has to be said. For that, I apologize but the content is what is important.

Viking had no business saying you needed to brace anything. I can see that being said to the installer but not you.

If your sump is connected to your pool pump, set your suction so that the only suction available is to the dry well and the discharge is sent out to Waste. That will suck the water out from behind the pool wall. Using a flashlight, look in the sump. If it stays dry, you can then empty the pool. If it doesn't, the installer will have to empty the pool, not you.

I hope you don't have to pay to have new water trucked in when they are done bracing and back filling. The back fill will likely need to be the smallest gravel available as it doesn't wash away.

I hope you don't have more than a three foot apron around/over the pool holding it down and that they don't have to lift the pool. If they do have to lift it, the concrete is history. You can't lift it due to the weight and sag it would create.

This is exactly the reason why Viking doesn't allow homeowners to be the primary contractor. They have a set of rules for the proper installation of their shells. Add to it what most installers do and you will have a shell set that will last a lifetime.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here