Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncounty

medium gray plaster pool; what should I expect

ncounty
15 years ago

I just finished my pool last week and had chosen medium gray plaster based on their pictures which looked dark blue. It looks very very dark right now; almost black. It basically looks like a black bottom pool. The deep end has blues in it in the sunlight.

Can anyone tell me if this will change appreciably in the next month as chemicals are added and as it cures? I am okay with it but had hoped for a lighter color of blue for the water. Initially as it was filling, it was gorgeous teal blue green; remniscent of areas of the Caribbean. I am surprised everyone here seems to hate any touch of green in their color.....I wish it could have stayed that teal blue green. I wonder what color plaster could have led to that long term outcome, does anyone know?

Is there anything I can do in these few weeks to help it turn out lighter? thanks.

Comments (6)

• ncounty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow, nanhsot, that looks amazing. Nothing like what my pool looks like. Thanks so much for posting. Do you remember if it changed appreciably in the first month? or was it these colors to begin with? I am hoping there is a natural transition and I am just overreacting and "freaking out" in a subdued way. This morning it looked a dark emerald green which I liked but from a distance it is still a glossy black mirror.

• nanhsot
    15 years ago

Hmm, it never was as dark as you describe, are you diligently brushing and such? I do remember it had a true gray quality at first, but never black in nature, so that part does confuse me.

I can say that ours lightens appreciably when we are low in acid and darkens when the acid load is correct (we like the darker look). We have VERY hard water and use a salt system.

I'm not sure I'm much help, sorry! My main advice for now is to brush daily per the recommendations and then wait for chemicals. I'll see if I can dig up some first day photos, we're a few years out now, but they are around here somewhere!

• ncounty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, nanhsot. I'll try to take a pic and post it as well.

• ncounty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here are my pics I took today, nanhsot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877179@N07/?saved=1

btw, you can just create a new flickr account if your old one expired. You just need a different email address. My ISP provides me with many more email addresses than I need.

• J K
    3 years ago

Yes, gold, brown, tan stone color turns the water green.