Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purging air from DIY coil solar pool collectors

Posted by skeeter_ca (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 10:39

I am building a DIY solar pool heater. The system uses 8 coil(irrigation tubing) type collectors.They are being mounted on a stand about 20ft from the pool and about 5 feet higher than the pool. Since it only has a 5 foot rise i wasn't thinking off using in an air break.

I am having two design questions. Should i have the exit on the collectors at the top so air will purge out of the top? I have seen both top and bottom exit with no problems mentioned. And second, how does the return header purge any air out of it?

skeeter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purging air from DIY coil solar pool collectors

skeeter ca,
Pool solar water enters at the bottom and exits at the top. The theory is to push the water up thru the panel(coil) slowly to transfer the heat.
Both lines should have ball valves for service and a hose bib or other device for draining the system in case you're in an area that might freeze.
It's common for these systems to purge air out the return lines each time they start. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here