Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwalters7

Signed, Sealed & Awaiting Delivery!

Dena Walters
11 years ago

Welll it is finally happening after 50+ years of wishing! We are doing a pool, loads of decking and an outdoor kitchen! We are soo excited and are soooo happy we went with Josh @ Regal Pools in The Woodlands. I will be adding pictures as we go along. Tonite I will try to get some 'before' any construction begins.

POOL:
Pool Style
Custom Design Freeform
Pool Area
875' ft2
Pool Perimeter
125âÂÂ
Pool Depth
3âÂÂ6â x 7âÂÂ
Pool Dimensions
40' Long
23â Wide Avg.

Comments (89)

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok...we still have some adjusting to do on the
    stairs that go up to the covered kitchen/living
    area.

Coming out the door of my Indoor Kitchen: All
    of this part is going to be covered.

Looking out from the covered Patio/Kitchen/Living Area:

Decking on the Left side of the Pool to the Slide:

Looking back towards the Covered Patio area:

And looking over to the right side of Pool decking:

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG!...How many people who have been married 20+ years find out when they do a build agree with NOTHING???...Sheshhhhh...I adore my husband and we have gotten along....thru our 20+ years of marriage...but then..BAM!!...We agree with "Nothing!"......LOLOL!!...It is a life changing experience!!...Trust me!!!
    I believe in the End we will BOTH appreciate what we have accomplished!!.... âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂÂ¥

• truxtc102
    10 years ago

Dena,
    That's exactly why my husband is not allowed to be involved in this planning at all! He gets to enjoy it at the end though..lolz...I love the stairs going from your patio down to the pool area. I asked my PB to do that for us, but since our yard does not slope down that much from our patio to the middle of the yard, I could only have one step down :(...The back of my yard does have quite a bit of sloping so my pool might look like it's sitting on an island at the end? We will see. I do like all your choice for stone and coping, they go great together! What type of coping is that? Is it Travertine?

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

truxtc102; my husband has had some GREAT ideas that I didn't like initially... then when we went with HIS idea, I really Love it....such as the rock wall across the back with 3 different small waterfalls...I didn't want that at first...but I love it NOW! Its just funny how I thought we always agreed on most things...lol!
    Yes that is Mahogany Travertine for the coping and I like it when it's wet, its a tiny bit darker.
    I love the steps, now we are trying to decide do we want the front facing part of the steps a shade darker than the rest of the stain we are going to do...or stain the top of each step a shade darker...any thoughts on that?

Dena

• truxtc102
    10 years ago

You agreed with each other more than you think since you ended up liking it! :).My first thought about the stain is to stain the top of each step a shade darker since it receives the most traffic all year long. My theory is, the darker the better when it comes to walk on surfaces. :) But I do want my deck to be as light as possible?! I just think if my deck is white/gray now, down the road it will eventually turn much darker. :) I'm having a hard time with the deck and just want to settle with a matching exposed aggregate to the existing patio. I'm too stingy to spend on the deck! If I could go back, I definitely would negotiate more square footage in the price..lolz..

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

Looks amazing so far! Love your coping and tile choice.

I'd not stain the steps differing colors. Here's why: Look at the 2nd to last picture. Imagine you're in the pool looking toward the patio. Everything is done, furniture installed, pots of plants, people sitting around, bright towels and toys strewn everywhere. LOL Staining your steps different colors is going to add to the visual chaos that will already be happening.

You'll also have in your line of vision, the horizontal stones on the face of the hot tub and the random colors of your tile line. Those "stripey" steps, if you stain them that way, is just going to be too much. The steps will be beautiful in their own zen-like way. IMO, no need to draw further attention to them, in a distracting way.

You'll also be highlighting very, straight horizontal lines on those steps if you stain 2 colors. And your pool, the landscape - the whole vibe - feels more curvy and organic to me.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know what truxtc...You are Absolutely Right...thats why we have stayed married this long..LOL!!...we just dont "REALIZE".....We love the same things!!! Aint life Grand!!??!!...I Adore my "Better Half"!!!!..and yes...Corney as it may seem..he does Complete me!!!...
    OK...now...I think with time...the darker we stain the deck..the sun will eventually sap the color...making it lighter?!?!....And we are going more....tans...light browns...(I think...lol!)....
    banana_fanna:...I sooo totally understand your thoughts..and trust me..around my house...there is Always chaos!!..LOL....but I "think"...in solitude that I really hope to have with Hubby.....to look back at the deck and some of the curved lines we are gonna try to create....Maybe just the FACE of the steps..will not only lend to the architecture....but help people and kids in all forms of....."excitement"...judge the steps...and realize there "ARE" steps there....I worry that...we go all the exact same color stain upstairs and down...it all blends too much?!?!...and is ...."boring"...???

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Another Question"!..Should I start a 'new' thread..and warn people about the "loaded" pictures????...Then direct them to my first thread with a 'warning' of Soo many pictures?....Do I need to minimize the amount of pictures I upload????
    Need ALL comments!!!
    Dena

• awoodwaring
    10 years ago

I love is thread and check for it weekly. Please don't change the location by starting a new one!

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU awoodwaring....I just wasn't sure IF I was giving "toooo" much information and pictures or not...or if anyone was really intrested!??.....I know I have had multiple conversations with truxtc...and love watching HER build....
    Just wasn't sure IF "Anyone" was following this thread!...
    And banana_fanna...Thank YOU for your input also!!!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    10 years ago

I had a conversation with my designer today regarding what type of concrete I should get?! For my price quote, I get a a choice of a rainbow aggregate (what I have on my existing patio), stain concrete, and stain salt deck. He mentioned that the stain would only last one or two years if they just stain it without acid wash the concrete first. He also said to make it extra lasting then I need to not only acid wash it, stain it, and to also seal it to make it last much longer. So it will fade through time, I say go with any color that you love because eventually it will requires some remodeling? :) As for me, I went 'down' to salt deck since it costs me a bit less than the original deck of choice. I told him that I will attempt some DIY on the staining part and seal it off since I'm always up to some challenge...lolz...we will see about that! :)

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

truxtc102, it would scare me to death to attempt such a big project...I would be afraid I would mess it up bad...Congrats to you that you have the confidence to go after such a big project, and I definetely want to see the outcome!...
    Well Yesterday they came out and laid the rebar and poured all the concrete in one day...It is ALOT of concrete but I love it!!!
    We are going to do the stamped, stained concrete, you can see the design at the website or This link might be useful at the bottom of this post, it's the one on the left hand side very bottom. Im hoping to use the colors of our waterline tile (This is my husbands very top choice, so it's the one we are gonna go with)

Now from yesterday...
    This is an over-view from the upstairs window:

This is the Addition that will become the Covered Patio / Kitchen area, plus the existing Patio:

This is by the Gratto looking towards the house:

Close up of the Patio/Kitchen Addition

From the Left side of the Pool area:

And from the Right Side:

Closer up view from Right side of Pool looking back towards the step leading up to the Patio/Kitchen Area

They are suppose to start the addition on Monday, and I have to say, I am soooo Thankful that Regal Pools is doing the entire rest of the build, so much LESS stress!
    We are moving along very fast...soo keep checking back for the addition and finale... â¼â¼

Here is a link that might be useful: Stamped Concrete Design

• awoodwaring
    10 years ago

Looking really great! What is your pool finish going to be?

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

awoodwaring,
    We are going to do the Pebble Sheen....I initially struggled with White Diamonds, and Aqua Blue...
    We have decided to go with Aqua Blue...I want a pretty blue, yet something that I can see to the bottom in the deep end....in case of 'snakes'..I hate snakes...
    Dena

• piaa
    10 years ago

Wonderful :)

I have a quick question - can you tell me the manufacturer and info (colour, style etc) for your stacked stone and tile line please - looks great

Thanks - can't wait to see more

Piaa

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

piaa: I'm checking with my PB right now to get the information, where are you located?
    Dena

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

piaa; the stacked stone is Regal's Custom stack using Ok. wister and the tile is noble jade chestnut...hope this helps

Dena

• piaa
    10 years ago

Thanks Dena - I am located on the island of St John in the US Virgin Islands so I have to ship everything in via container :)

Piaa

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahh to live in the Virgin Islands..
    I can't there, so Im building it in my back yard!..
    Yesterday they started the Addition..Yea!

Here's the beginning..it is gonna be AWESOME..Im so excited!

Different Angle:

And then so far this morning! They are Quick!
    Regal Pools really do hire the Best!

Today they also started the Finishing touches
    on the Gratto..Again...Regal has the Best!..These guys
    Are Awesome..and so interesting to watch!
    It's Art all by itself!

And More:

And the Slide!

I'll post an update this evening!
    Dena

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, I know I chimed in earlier on your post and I figured I would not do it again but are they putting up a covered patio with no footers for the post or straps? If they are I wouldn't even stand under that thing.
    Sorry but I couldn't help but not comment when there can be potential risk involved. I looked through your earlier pictures when they where prepping the deck and I saw neither.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pools94: I Have the Utmost Respect for You and Your Opinion!! Please..I Hope and Wish I did not give you a Different Impression.....
    Yes...They have placed both...Please see the pictures..and PLEASE...ALWAYS feel free to give me your Advice!...That is why I am here...I may not Always Agree...Because of my Faith in my PB...But Please...You Are ALWAYS welcome to give me opinions and Advice..Trust me I do Question my PB on every single Issue that is brought up on this site!
    Thank YOU!!!!

OK..UPDATE:..This evening pictures

First off...The New Step to the Slide...They made
    It look like a Huge Rock...Love it!...They still have
    The staining to do...But this is what we have now
    And I am Sooo Happy with it!

Behind the Gratto:

Behind the Wall of Rocks..What People will see when coming up on a Boat or Jet Ski.:...Love it:

Up the Back-Side:

Down the Slide:

Husband Being a Nut!:

Addition:

And More to come Tomorrow!:...I will Take and Post close ups of the Posts on the Addition!...Promise!
    Thank YOU Everyone for Helping me on this Journey!!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    10 years ago

I like the shape of your Pergola Dena. I always say if I were to have one for my patio, it would be a 'vaulted' ceiling look because it feels alot more open up to me. You are getting alot more fun stuff for your back yard than me but it will be done soon it looks like. Do you mind telling me how much Regal Pool charges for a slide and a gratto like this? My pool builder has one at his show room and if I remember correctly, it was around 28K!! I swear it looks similar to yours! :) Post more pictures please!

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All and All truxtc....For the Pool and the Gratto....It was priced at around $64,000. And I will tell you right now...I'd pay that PLUS some...seeing and knowing what all is involved in this Build!!!

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to be Very Clear...that price does NOT include the concrete..nor the addition!....
    Dena

• brentr_gw
    10 years ago

denaw, that seems to be a very fair price. Will you be putting in a summer kitchen? Keep the pics coming.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

truxtc102: The pergola is actually going to be the Covered Patio area including the patio that was already there...So it will be really big. It will be shingled.
    brentr: Absolutely on the Kitchen!... It will be 14 X 8 "L" shaped. We already have the Grill, Side Burner, Doors and Drawers!!!
    Pools94: I've posted a close up of the 6X6 Posts that are across the front of our Patio Area.

AND THE FISHING IS REALLY GOOD THIS MORNING:

This is my Son, His Fiancé and my Daughter.

Already have 2 in the Tank. So by 8:30 this morning
    They had 3:

They are working on the addition today, So I will have
    More pictures this Evening...
    Stay Tuned.....

• brentr_gw
    10 years ago

Your place is going to be amazing.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well they have finished up for the day! Man is it hot outside!...
    Can't wait to get the pool filled. But I Understand...
    It will so be worth the wait when everything
    Is finished! They do the Shingles on Monday!
    The Overall dimensions for the Patio is: 22.5 X 30

Far off view:

And a bit Closer:

Have a Great Weekend All!

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

brentr: Thank you So Much!
    I'm actually starting to get a bit excited. I know that we have a few more weeks to go but that's OK, I've waited ALOT of years to get to this stage, I figure I can wait another few weeks...LOL!
    In addition to the Kitchen equipment I had mentioned earlier we also have 4 posts lights, 4 ceiling fans, the sink, 4 Lounge Chairs.....Can't forget those!!! And they will be putting tongue and groove pine in the ceiling (Stained about the color of our fence) and 6 cam lights. We already had a small ice maker and we have a very large Old Fashioned Coca-Cola Cooler that we're gonna put between the French doors and that window, we have to get Freon put in it, otherwise it's in Excellent Condition.
    I think the electrician might be out today, and if not today Monday for sure..
    PB told me that after the Grotto and rock wall is stained, the slide is buffed and an epoxy put on...and the shingles up, they can do the Pebble Sheen in the pool and get her filled up....All that will be left is putting in the Kitchen/Bar area and doing all the concrete... Sorry I got a bit long winded!
    Whew...still sounds like a lot when I put it all in writing! LOL! We will get there!
    Dena

• awoodwaring
    10 years ago

It looks awesome! Thanks for posting your pics!

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    10 years ago

Just to get you thinking. Your posts that are already on your existing back patio have post straps that are imbedded in the concrete about 12" down and probably are sitting in a footer of at least 18"x18" although that's probably to small even.
    Your new posts do not have the same straps. Those type of straps are mainly used to hold post that have no load requirement. The engineering on patio covers wheather they are solid or lattice is not only for weight but for wind sheer. Proper post straps like you have on your older posts not only can carry the weight but also hold the cover down when you have a good wind that can lift up your patio cover.
    I know you think your builder is a great guy and he probably is but check your engineering on the patio cover to see if that set up is required.
    I normally would not be this insistent unless I thought it was important. Please check your engineering plan for the cover before you move on. If it says to do that than I'm wrong but I've never seen an engineer not specify less than a 18"x18" x3' deep footer with rebar for that type of patio cover.

• brentr_gw
    10 years ago

Dena, here is our pool build.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our new pool build in Jacksonville

• awoodwaring
    10 years ago

The engineer may have taken into account what looks to be a 7.5" slab? Either way, previous poster is correct; the structural engineering plans will specify footing and holddown requirements. I don't know what your wind design loads are in your state, but the engineer can also subtract out any dead loads (I.e., the weight of the roof) when calculating uplift on posts. Your uplift is also distributed over 8 posts and looks to be tied to the house?

Anyhow, just look at the drawings. :)

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Everyone for your kind words and concern. I hope to get home this evening and find the roof shingled and the electric ran...Hopefully!
    If so I'll take and posts more pictures this evening!
    Dena

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK...So Monday night when I got home...I had
    "Shingles!" and It looks AMAZING!...LOL!

More:

My Grand Daughter wanting her picture taken:

Tongue and Groove Started and All Electrical Done:

Tonight when I got home!...New stuff! Still working on the tongue and groove for the ceiling on the patio. The vertical boards are beams....It will be stained a ... I'm thinking about a walnut....not too dark, I want the grain in the wood to show.

Ceiling:

More Ceiling:

One More!

Then........My Family being Nuts and Scaring the Momma to Death!!!

My Son:

My Soon to be Daughter N Law:....Trust me..my Son is holding her legs!

And Last but Not Least!.. Dad, Son and Grand Daughter!:

Ok..Sorry...ONE MORE...Just how Big the Pool Looks!

Good Nite Everyone! I just wanted to say Thank you All for the Amazing Comments!!
    I will keep posting as the build continues!
    Dena

• bmoreswim
    10 years ago

Is that all you got for pics? Just having fun with you. Do you have a third blog anywhere else?!! What a blast!

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL! bmoreswim, Nope just the 2! I started everything here then found the other site!
    Have a GReat and Holiday Weekend!
    Dena

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok..so I took some pictures this evening of the stained tongue and groove. Just remember! The color will look a bit different because of the lightening.

Old Patio / New tongue and groove:

The New Side of the Patio:

Looking Straight on:

And a far off shot:

Today they cleaned the pool so that hopefully by Wens. we will have the PS installed! My PB did say they were a day behind so it may be Thurs. If it's Thurs. we should get to start filling the pool and depending how long it takes to fill they should be back out Sat. or Sun. to get the equipment going..so Hopefulllly we'll get to swim this weekend!

• Carnut12
    10 years ago

I hate to be that guy, your build looks amazing, but did you check to make sure they put in the Footings on that extension? I have to agree with Pools94, that 7 inch concrete pad is not enough, it needs more than likely 3 foot deep footings for each post.

Good luck, looks great so far.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carnut12; Im a bit unsure what you are talking about but I will double check with the PB.

Yesterday they actually came out and stained the boulder creations..it looks really good.

The stairs to the Grotto:

Looking down the Slide:

The back of the pool:

And the back of the Grotto:

Then today they did the Pebble Sheen..I am loving the color:

The Prep:

The beginning:

Very Fast:..still going!

And going!

Finishing touches:

And when I got home:

Looking from the other direction:

They should come and acid wash, and scrub tomorrow
    and I should get to start the long haul of filling! Yea!

Dena

• brentr_gw
    10 years ago

Dena, not to be too much a critique, however I noticed that the valves at the back of the slide/ grotto are those PVC red handle ones. Please have your builder replace them with Jandy or Pentair Never Lube valves. The ones he has installed will give you trouble soon. I had all of mine replaced by the builder. It is well worth the extra money up front. Looking great :cheers: :cheers:

• peytonroad
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting, it is fun watching a pool go in. Keep the pictures coming please! Love your choices and the slide... so nice!

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well they finished up on Friday morning and started filling the pool. I only had ONE hose and 3 outside spigots!..Soo what do I do..I turn the one on full blast and go buy 2 more!..LOL!

Starting the fill with ONE hose:

After buying 2 more hoses...kept filling with 3 hoses:

Getting there...slowly but surely!

Dogs are Loving the water...the Fawn one is my oldest Momma dog, Hannah, and the white one is her son, Beemer.

Another of my fur babies enjoying the water and gettin' feisty!

Soo then we get to the pool filled and the water falls on...Ohh and the grand kids Loving it!...The water is a bit green because we hadn't started the chemicals yet!

The water getting bluer, if that's a word..lol!

Ok, Im gonna stop here and start another post with a story! : )

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Story:
    My two "overweight" boxers have never been in water that their feet didn't touch bottom. Not thinking they would even attempt to go into the water, I climbed up the stairs to the slide and slid down....when I looked up both boxers were on the top of the slide....ACK!!! They started playing and my momma dog, Hanna started the slide down...she slipped onto her side and hit the side of the slide on her way down, which I believe knocked the air out of her so when she hit the water she sunk like a brick..down..down...down...she was NOT coming up...I yelped at my son who dove in, and just as I was going down to get her my white boxer, Beemer slid down and hit the water hard....I got Hanna and passed her off to my son..and looked back to see nothing but Beemers nose above water with bubbles coming out...I grabbed his collar and started swimming....
    We got them both to the tan deck stairs and after throwing up water 5 or 6 times and me drying them off..THEY were Great...Me on the other hand...I was a Basket Case!!!!
    Sooo we think...surely they learned their lesson...Nope, with help from my kids I slowly climbed back up the stairs and slid down..and sure enough both started back up them stairs!!!...The kids stopped them..but then they ran around to the edge of the pool ready to jump in AGAIN...to "save" me!....so I swam over to the edge and they followed me on dry ground to the tan deck stairs!!..GRrrRRrrr...
    On a happier note....My soon to be daughter n laws lab LOVED the water!!!...But we have to keep her inside when the kids are swimming because she thinks she has to "SAVE" them!! However she has to do it...by grabbing their floaties...or shorts...she is gonna save them..LOL...but in the process she nearly drowns them..LOL!...
    Sooo now..on to the pictures of the rest of the pool

The lab, Tux enjoying the water!

And...the pool at night:

Soo now it is on to the kitchen build...
    Dena

• peytonroad
    10 years ago

How nice that the dogs love the water, learning curve for them too! this seems so relaxing!! Enjoy and grill out this weekend!

• gaylek
    10 years ago

Very pretty! Love the dog stories but was concerned about them going in! Our boxer will only go on the top steps! But will lick all the kids heads/face when they get near the edge!

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

peytonroad; The boxers are doing better, they will step down onto the top tan deck yet I still have to watch them pretty close when I'm in the pool I think they still feel a need to 'save' me! We grill outside every single weekend, I hate having to be inside on the weekends and trust me the inside of my house reflects this! memama_gayle; our boxers will do the exact same thing, always on gaurd and ready to give kisses!

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last week alot was accomplished! Here's a few
    pictures of the start of our outdoor kitchen:

The inside: And my grandbabies!

Another Shot:

The outside:

The outside bar area:

Last one:

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

So much fun isn't it? Thanks for posting. It was neat watching the process and hopefully your boxers have done better in the water.
    Our little Mini Schnauzer fell in to our pool in the middle of winter and he hasn't wanted anything to do with the pool again. lol. We put him on a float and he tolerates it for a little while, but gets out as quick as we get him close enough to the tanning ledge.

Steph

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well it's been a full summer now and I am just as excited to get this summer started as I was last year when the pool was built. I have added some final pictures from last year showing all the concrete after it was stained...and then some pictures for this year. The kids first time in the pool was 04/11/2014 (we have a heater in the pool and kicked it on for a while..water was just about 84).

Patio after the stain:

Another Shot:

The ceiling on the patio:

NOW On to this year...April the 11th, 2014:

AND...Last but surely not least, our boxer "Beemer" wanting us to share our food:

Cannot wait until Summer is in fulls swing again!
    Dena