Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it worth upgrading to a new, more efficient pool pump?

Posted by hopefulnovice (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 10:06

We're rehabbing our pool, and trying to decide whether to upgrade the pump. The current one is about 15 years old and pretty loud.
Is it worth installing a new one, or do pumps usually last for years?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it worth upgrading to a new, more efficient pool pump?

I had a single speed Jacuzzi that lasted for 20 years. It started getting noisy which I took as getting near the end. I upgraded to a 2 speed pump for savings on the electric bill. I run it on low 95% of the time. High speed only for chemical dispersion. Like you I did a rehab going to salt, new filter, new liner and cover. 15 years is pretty good but the noise could be a bearing starting to wear.
I am very pleased with the 2 speed option.

o
RE: Is it worth upgrading to a new, more efficient pool pump?

In NJ, I usually see about a 7 year life from an induction pump motor, single or dual speed. Most pools are off from Nov through April. Sealed permanent magnet motors on pools have not had any wear issues that I have seen and expect a very long life.

Down South, its more like 2-5 years for induction motors, depending on usage.

Please don't confuse pump life with motor life.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here