Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are we being taken for a ride?

Posted by hopefulnovice (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 10:04

Hi all -
Thank you to everyone who posts here - it has been so helpful to read all your stories and advice.

I wonder if you could help me with a "reality check" on our pool estimate. It seemed VERY high to me, but I am new to this and our landscaper swears by this company.

We have an old pool that needs resurfacing & new tile.

We've been quoted just under $15,000 to drain/bond/seal the pool and resurface it with Pebbletec.

Then another $3500 to install the 6 inch tile band on top.

And almost $2000 to install a polaris pool cleaner & pump.

This is just a regular sized (20x30) rectangular pool, no bells and whistles.

Is this reasonable, or have I been pegged as a sucker? And what questions should I be asking to make sure we won't be hit with additional charges as things progress?

Thank you so much for any advice you can give! This is our first time owning a pool.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are we being taken for a ride?

I'm building a pool (New Pool in St Petersburg FL thread) and the best thing I did was push really, really hard to get four quotes. Now, to get four quotes, I met with 8 different pool companies who sent a rep to my house, got a copy of my survey, went out and tape measured the backyard, talked about options, construction, costs, etc. (Some just dropped out, which is why only 4 quotes out of all that.)
BUT, the best thing was how much I learned about pool construction and the various choices I had. Each person I had a discussion with taught me something, so by the time I was getting the last quote, I was asking the right questions and knowing when I was being "BS-ed".
My pool is pretty big (about 650sf, very rough est) and my tile is $3550 (this includes a $6/sf allowance for tile, plus the installation).
I go from 3.5' to 6.5' and my PebbleSheen is $7310 (plus I'm adding $300 "Shimmering Sea" abalone shell for sparkle)
My Hayward Navigator vacuum is $545, so I don't need the extra pump like the Polaris. Don't pay the extra for a Polaris unless there is a reason that you need it (I think if you get lots of leaves then it's good, but the others on this forum will give you better info on that).
Since you're getting bonding (sort of like electrical grounding), you may want to replace the lights while you're doing all this. If you don't want the $700 "disco lights", Intellibrite makes a white LED. FYI, my electrical is $2110 total, including bonding, equipment, lights. Electrician has to come out three times to do his jobs.
Hope this helps. I talk about a lot of this stuff in my blog (without getting into cost specifics though), the decision making process.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Boring Blue Pool Blog

o

Here is something for your comparison...I am building a new pool (52' long, 29' at widest and 23' at narrowest= 1000 sq ft). The quote for Pebble Tec for a NEW build was 11K. Fina was 9K. They don't have to drain or clean or scape anything off. That was just for the alternative finish. We are already in to this project for so much we decided to not to the alternative finish. It is just too much money. BTW-I liked the lighter colors of Tec and Fina which are cheaper. What color are you going with? I know the darker ones are more expensive.

o

Guys, thank you so much for your comparisons. It sounds like I am just green, and that they are more or less in the ballpark of reasonable. Really helpful to hear from you - thank you!
We are going with a dark finish - one of the blacks - we haven't decided yet.

One other question - do we need a pool cleaner like polaris if we have a weekly pool service??

o

I am not sure where you live but I have found out that costs are different all over the country. I believe that Florida must be one of the cheapest states in the country. We have our pool built ,minus the heat pump, solar and pool cage for the cost of all you have quoted. That is all regular pool equipment, electrical and bonding, tile, SWG, water features and about 1800sq ft pavers. Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Our new pool build in Jacksonville

o

If the pool isn't plumbed for it, a robot may be a better option. It will almost certainly be less expensive than a new Polaris with it's booster and a new line being dug and drilled.

Whether the service is sufficient for you, only time will tell.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here