Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Three paver mfgs for patio resurface--any feedback?

loves2read
11 years ago

The pavers most recommended for the remodel over existing concrete patio/lanai surface in FL house and for laying a new driveway surface are Tremron...they have plants in FL and apparently make a good product...
but the thinner pavers for the pool patio don't really appeal to me...
colors in the white base options look pretty chalky and muddled...

There is company in Ft Myers -- Tri Circle--that makes what looks like possible choices but have only seen them on web pages...
the two local showrooms I went to when I was in FL last week did not have samples of Tri Circle pavers...
probably because of the distance to Ft Myers there are plenty of other mfgs in local Sarasota area
but think they make a very dense paver which means durability to me...
one guy said he uses Tri Circle almost exclusively now and goes through more saw blades with that product than any other paver mfg...

I also saw samples of Sta-bil pavers which use more concrete than clay and thus have lighter color tones...

One guy who is giving me estimate and does lot of work in Sarasota area and has used Sta-bil pavers as well as Tremron and Artistic and others says that he is starting to think that Sta-bil products might meet the industry strength requirements but the product just might not have the durability to last for 20 yrs...

It is newer company and its products haven't seen test of time so far...
yet some stuff on line says that concrete pavers are MORE durable with fewer problems with cracking/chipping than brick pavers...and I know that these pavers are likely to be the coolest of the three...

We wouldn't use the Sta-bil for the driveway because I can get a Tremron product I like ok for that...don't care if that is gray vs white base either...

Any comments about cement vs brick pavers in general or the three product lines specifically?
I know I can get any of these three for the prices quoted in bids...
going to Artistic pavers like CoralLock is definitely more expensive and upgrading to Travertine might be reasonable...
two guys told me it was possible for less than 1000 to upgrade to Travertine but I haven't seen the choices for that upgrade...

It is a small pool area--about 900 sq ft--and I don't think we want to mix materials and use Travertine around pool itself where there is more sun all day AND pavers in areas with more shade...
PS--to the poster on another thread I started who said the way to go about this was to pick the pavers we wanted to use then find contractor to install--
I now agree that is definitely the way to go in doing this type of project
But since most pavers are made locally, we can't see products we would use in FL here in DFW area...
so lesson learned...

Comments (6)

• MikeG715
    11 years ago

Im in Tampa Bay and my pool deck pavers are C&D Thin Pavers

• loves2read
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for a prompt response and the photos--
    I saw some mention of C&D when I was Googling for info on pavers in Sarasota area but didn't see any when I was at the showrooms

How hot are those pavers to walk on now that you had screen house put up?
    Are they gray base or white base?
    Do you have a child security fence you use at times?
    We need to have one installed and now I am thinking it might be better to get that installed and have sleeves set in current concrete surface--
    then pavers can work around those poles/holes and don't need to be set in concrete themselves...

and did you use the same company's coping?
    Most replacement coping is only 3.5 inches--so part of our original pool tile which is green would show at bottom of coping edge...
    we aren't getting pool redone at this time---just doesn't need it...

• MikeG715
    11 years ago

My pavers are a white base and I have not had any issues with the temp of them. I have a huge oak tree that shades most of my pool, but the parts that are full sun do not feel hot on the feet. Coping is by C&D as well. I keep the child fence up at all times, my kids are 5 and 3 so it scares me to take it down. I know you can get a gate for the child screen, but the estimate I got for it was half the cost of the whole fence. So we opted out of it. When we have parties we take it down, and someone is always watching the pool or in it with the kids. I look forward to the day it comes down, but i am not rushing anything.

• loves2read
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is good to know about your pavers--
    lot of our lanai stays in shade from about 11 am on but still prefer the white base...
    Regarding the pool safety fence--just had conversation with guy who installed fence for friend of our daughter
    Their fence goes all around their smaller pool cause they have lot of patio space on around the pool--too hard to close part of that off...

Our pool is larger than theirs and more rectangular--we can do two sides easier but might cost more cause more panels

and the gate was expensive--like $400--

but for our situation I think we will need one--
    I am not sure I can physically pull those two sections together to try to get fence back up---there is lot of tension in that kind of fence...

But he also said that putting it in after pavers were down was not problem
    and that the pavers the posts were in wouldn't need to be cemented
    He could just use a longer aluminum sleeve and drill a little deeper than usual...
    He also said that black mesh/poles were the way to go

that the eye will travel through black mesh much easier to see what is on the other side than white mesh...which kind of surprised me...
    but it is really pretty easy to see out through a pool cage's screening which is black...

• loves2read
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still haven't made decision about pavers--
    but thought you might like to know that the company you got your pavers from is now out of business...I saw some colors I liked and asked about them only to be told
    "Oh--they are out of business--we should take those samples down"...
    and that attitude if about par for the course in the companies I have dealt with large showrooms and small ones...
    the contractors don't carry samples around--just catalogues

don't know if anyone bought them up after bankruptcy or what

• brentr_gw
    11 years ago

We have Tremron estate pavers and love them, however the Tremron plant is located here in Jacksonville and if we ever needed to match them we could just go by the plant and purchase them. See the below thread

Here is a link that might be useful: New pool build, Jacksonville