Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After only 3 years, PB/Mason redoing pool patio

Posted by apsel3 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 8:30

Have concrete with kooldeck around pool. After first winter, the kooldeck was chipping off; so, they ripped up the kooldeck and re-did it. Next winter, because the Mason neglected to put expansion joints in the coping around the pool, everywhere the expansion joints ended, the kooldeck chipped off all around the pool. Now they are coming in to completely tear up all the concrete/kooldeck to start over (at no cost to me, except $2,000 to change the coping to Tennessee Stone). Nervous about doing kooldeck again and Mason doesn't do stamped concrete. No faith in Mason after he already failed twice, but they are not charging me for the new work. Still contemplating going with someone else to do the patio . . . thoughts???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After only 3 years, PB/Mason redoing pool patio

My pool build is starting next week. I've struggled with decking options and have concluded that travertine is the one for me. It's supposedly cooler than most options and if it's tumbled it's not too slick to walk on.

I'm having concrete poured for the decking and I'm going to let it cure for 4 weeks. Then I'm going to lay a waterproofing/uncoupling membrane and I'll tile over that. The price is not going to be too bad w/ me doing the tiling labor myself.

You may be able to lay tile over your existing cool deck???

o

For $2,000 I would let them do the upgrades and hope for the best.

It's what we call a +EV move.

o

The fact that he is admitting his mistakes and taking responsibility for it says a whole lot for his character. Sounds like a good man.

Raquet, what does +EV mean? Equity Value?

o

Expected Value.

o

Thanks all. Good advice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here