Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanneswimsct

Let the games begin!!!

joanneswimsct
16 years ago

Okay, gang, I'm joining the ranks of pool ownership! I have been researching the topic and referring to this forum for over a year now and have decided to take the plunge! I am building my pool as a business as I coach and teach swimming. I have been lucky enough to borrow a pool up until now but can only use it on weekends and have a waiting list a mile long. I decided 'if I build it, they will come' so here we go! I was able to get a great deal on a pool enclosure ( a $60K savings-long story ) and my PB has been in constant touch w/ me as well as the engineer of the enclosure. I put the downpayment on the enclosure today so life as I once knew it...! I need to get a zoning variance from my town which should not be a problem then the build will begin; we are shooting for early April. I will go w/ a 20x40 vinyl under a 34x60 enclosure. The H2O depth will be 4' in the shallow and 8' in the deep. I teach H2O aerobics as well as swim lessons/stroke clinics so need 4' and I have 4 kids who will want to dive hence 8'. The pool will not have any real bells and whistles but even though I live in CT I'll enjoy year-round swimming due to the enclosure. To me that's more important than bells and whistles! I have not signed a contract w/ my PB yet; we're working out a few details first. As soon as a contract is presented to me I'll post the info and ask for your input. Thanks to all of you who have answered my questions on previous posts and I look forward to sharing my build w/ you all!

joanneswimsct

Comments (14)

• birdbath
    16 years ago

Congratulations, Joanne!!

You are smarter than the rest of us, as you can earn back some of the $$ you are spending on the pool by giving swimming lessons. I'm afraid that most of us on this forum have less noble uses in mind (such as general goofing off at the pool). You have done a lot of research and that's definitely going to help you. I wish that I'd seen this site before we started building - there are so many valuable discussions in here. My only advice (that I wish we'd done) is to get an estimated date of completion on your contract. Along with that, there needs to be some kind of incentive in your contract for the builder to meet that deadline (deducting for rain days and other unforeseen items). The Registrar of Contractors told us that we should have had a fine built in to the contract for every day that the pool builder was late (other than rain days, etc.). Without it, the estimated date of completion really means nothing to the builder if they don't meet it.
    Your enclosure sounds wonderful - you'll be the envy of all the neighborhood. Or more likely, the neighborhood will be in your pool year round!
    Best wishes for a happy (and fairly quick) pool build!

• tresw
    16 years ago

Joanne, welcome aboard! We look forward to hearing about your project as it proceeds!

Quote: "The Registrar of Contractors told us that we should have had a fine built in to the contract for every day that the pool builder was late (other than rain days, etc.)."

The fine you are referring to would be called "liquidated damages", or LD's for short. You have to check with your state on the legality of LD's. Here in Texas you cannot assign LD's as a "penalty" for the contractor not finishing in time, you have to be able to prove that you are sustaining actual damages due to the project not completing on time. Obviously this would be tough to justify when it comes to a residential pool! In the commercial work I do it's not uncommon for owners to want to stick LD's in the contract, but typically a contractor will not sign a contract with LD's in it unless you also offer some kind of incentives if they finish early (that's only fair). Usually the LD's get dropped in contract negotiations.

• birdbath
    16 years ago

Thanks tresw, for making that clearer. Yes, the incentive should be there for the PB to finish on time as well. We learned some hard lessons in this whole pool thing, I would have been more than willing (still am!) to offer an incentive for our PB to finish within a certain time. It's just so hard to do after the fact. I think most PB's get their pools built in a pretty reasonable amount of time, I know our neighbors had theirs up and running within seven or eight weeks. We should have done more research on our pool builder, and dug harder for references. If nothing else, I'm just offering my humble suggestion to get an estimated date of completion when you sign the contract, in hopes you can avoid a situation like ours.
    Even with the delays, we are still thrilled to be constructing a pool. It's a neat process to watch!
    Your pool is going to be really interesting during the construction, with the enclosure going up around it. I am anxious to see your first pictures!

• tresw
    16 years ago

You are so right on build time, definitely a good idea to get the PB to commit to a date and to also generate a schedule that gets modified whenever there is a delay so you always have an idea of when the end date is. Our pool started construction just after New Years and is filling today. So it's been right at 8 weeks, but it seems like sooooo much longer! I don't know how in the world people can stand it when it takes 6 months or more!

• joanneswimsct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi gang!
    Just closed on our loan today!! Thought we'd have smooth sailing from here on out but it seems we have a nasty neighbor who came out of the woodwork and is making noise. We have our variance mtg w/ the town on 4/7 (wish us luck; logic is on our side but emotions are running out of control). Expecting to pass if the board stays focused on the reason for our requested variance which is land hardship. The neighbor just doesn't want the project to happen and has been coming up w/ all kinds of 'reasons' it shouldn't be allowed. None of his 'reasons' are sound. Just in case we lose our case, we are working on plan B which is a scaled down version of the original project. It means really squeezing in under the enclosure and losing our relaxing deck area. Our state requires a minimum of 5' of decking surrounding the pool as our pool will need to be built to public pool standards because of the lessons. We can get that in but still need room for our utilities and bathroom. It'll be tight and, unfortunately, not as pretty as the original plan. If we do need to go down that road, at least we can do so w/o the variance from the town and we can do what we darn well please!!! No matter what, I'll need permission from the town to have a home-based business. Again, should be a no-brainer as we already have 3 businesses on our street; a daycare, a window replacement business and an Amway distributor.
    Anyway, just thought I'd catch you up to date so far. No photos or anything else exciting to show you but w/ luck it won't be long!!
    By the way, have any of you had nasty neighbors you've had to deal w/? This one is the one least affected by the project, too. He'd have no sight line to the pool due to trees in the way and he's the furthest away from the project as it will be way off center in the yard. I don't get him at all...!
    Thanks for 'listening' and I'll keep you updated as we go along!
    joanneswimsct

• Caroline
    16 years ago

Yikes. Are you sure you want the liability of the 8 ft area, and divers? Those two things really increase the risk of an accident at the pool!

• joanneswimsct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi bigdogs
    Spoke w/ the CT state dept of health re diving and they won't even allow me to teach start dives (yet another long story...). We'll just use it for our own fun. I KNOW my kids will dive even if I say not to so we'd rather go w/ 8' instead of anything less just for their own safety.
    Thanks for your concern!!
    joanneswimsct

• trhought
    16 years ago

joanneswimsct -

Congratulations on deciding to build a pool! Hopefully all the necessary pre-build arrangements are finished soon and your pool build and enclosure projects start soon.

Hope all worked out OK with decisions and plans for conditioning the enclosure. If you are still planning to use the telescoping system, I don't think you will have any problems with fresh air makeup in the enclosed space during use.

Looking forward to seeing your pool and enclosure project unfold over the next few months!

• joanneswimsct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, trhought
    Still haven't decided on how to heat the bugger. Spoke w/ someone from Dactron. They are used to installing their product in a traditional stick building. He wasn't so sure we'd have much luck w/ our telescoping enclosure. Suggested using an air to air heat exchanger. Isn't that the same thing as a heat pump? Don't heat pumps stop working if it's too cold outside? Many of the enclosures currently in use have been built for homes in Canada. If they can stay warm there, we should certainly be able to do the same here in CT. Just haven't figured out how yet...
    Thanks for listening!
    joanneswimsct

• trhought
    16 years ago

joanne-

I think Dectron would be overkill for your application. From your earlier post, it sounded like you have a budget for this project and a Dectron system, although very effective at delivering perfect humidity and temperature, is also expensive. Yes, these systems are basically dehumidification units that use energy recovery techniques to minimize energy losses from outside air introduction as well as conditioning the air, both heating and cooling. Supplemental heat is used in addition to heat pump heating capacity when outdoor temperatures drop too low. The supplemental heat can be electric heating elements or other alternative fuel heat.

If the Dectron rep was speaking of just an energy recovery unit (not sure what was meant by air to air heat exchanger), then the expense will not be that much, but this device will only exchange heat from the indoor air to the outdoor air and will not have any other heating or cooling benefits. These devices are used to introduce fresh air efficiently into a space but they do not heat or cool the air.

Not sure if you are still on a budget. If not, Dectron and others make fine systems for efficient, automated and accurate temperature and humidity control in high humidity environments like indoor pool enclosures.

If budget is a concern after pricing these systems, I would recommend a residential packaged HVAC unit. These units are affordable and can be retrofitted into your pool enclosure afterwards with very little ductwork required. These systems have been used for years in mobile homes and older homes where indoor duct work is non-existent or indoor space does not allow ducts. This system can be controlled with an indoor thermostat like in your house and can also be retrofitted with a engergy recovery unit that will introduce fresh air into the space. A good HVAC person locally should be able to price a residential packaged unit with energy recovery unit (called res-pak unit in the industry). The downside of this unit is temperature and humidity will not be as closely controlled but if you also match the res-pak unit with a thermostat with humidity control, it will do a very nice job with a lot less coin than a specialized de-humidification unit.

The advantage of this approach is you don't have to make the decision now and can wait until the enclosure is in service and then decide what level of comfort control is needed.

One other thing to consider is a radiant floor heating system. Although there will be no humidity control with this system, the feel of warm concrete on bare feet is comforting and these systems can be roughed in prior to concrete for very little money and finished at a later date.

Hope this helps.

• joanneswimsct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your advice, trhought. We are presently at a stand still as our neighbors are in an uproar over our project. One neighbor hates the idea so much that he took it upon himself to rile up the rest of the neighborhood by telling them the structure will be "an ugly 40 foot high corrugated steel monstrosity and my lessons will run nonstop w/ tons of kids, whistles blowing and cars parked up and down the street"! Unfortunately, the neighbors have believed his lies and now refuse to hear our side or listen to reason. In order to teach private swim lessons in our residential neighborhood we need a special permit from our town. The board is SUPPOSED to compare our home-based business w/ others in town and if ours follows their criteria, we should be granted the permit. The rules are: no employees (check), no more than 2 students at a time (private lesson=one person; check), no 18 wheeler truck deliveries (check) and ample off-street parking (check). We already have in the neighborood an Amway business, a daycare, a window replacement business, a home alarm business and a handyman business. The problem is the neighbors are allowed to come to the hearing and will be given the opportunity to voice their concerns. Even though we know they are wrong about what they perceive our business to be, we are afriad the board will shoot us down because of the high emotions of the neighbors. FYI, our building will be clear polycarbonate and aluminum and will stand a mere 10 feet tall at it's peak. We plan to either place a nice vinyl fence around the perimeter or a row of privacy shrubs as well as a fence to give us privacy. I will teach one student at time therefore there will be minimal noise. I've never used a whistle in my life while teaching; I actually am in the water the whole time! So, long story short, we will be anxiously awaiting the permit meeting and keeping our fingers crossed that the board will listen to reason and not emotion...
    HELP!
    joanneswimsct

• marpet
    16 years ago

you said in an earlier post that you also teach H2O aerobics...is that just one student at a time, too? I would think that would include some music and a bunch of students.

• tresw
    16 years ago

You might try sending a letter to all of your neighbors stating what you mentioned in your post above. Just state that it's come to your attention that there has been some misinformation going around and you wanted to set the record straight. Provide a picture of the enclosure you're planning on using. Explain to them about the private lessons and very limited traffic. Invite them to call you to discuss any concerns. It's a shame you've been subjected to a "smear campaign", but hopefully you have time to straighten it out before the hearing. Good luck!

• joanneswimsct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all
    Marpet, you are right about the H2O aerobics classes but I found out that home-based businesses only allow up to 2 students at a time so those classes won't occur afterall.
    tresw, once my husband and I decided to get serious about the project many months ago, we went around to each neighbor individually to let them know of our plans (both the enclosure and the lessons) and to describe the enclosure. I was too dumb to bring a brochure but described it as looking like a greenhouse. NOT ONE neighbor appeared to have a problem including the real estate agent. He was the most enthusiastic about it and asked if he could take the first dip. When I say I was shocked to the bone when that neighbor called to ream us out after receiving the notice requesting a variance I am not kidding. At first I thought he was joking and started to laugh. Big mistake; he was really mad and really serious about his hatred of the project. My other neighbors called to let us know they, too, had received their notice and still seemed okay. Then the agent went around the neighborhood w/ his 'smear campaign' and now everyone believes him as 'he is a professional who knows all there is to know about real estate'. The same neighbors who at first said it was okay then called me back irate that I had either lied to them about the description or had not disclosed certain "facts" that had been brought to light. I offered to share the brochure w/ them but they said they had already made up their minds... Sheesh! We are in a no-win situation; we can still build the pool/enclosure w/o the town's approval (except for the building permits) but the neighbors will be ticked. If we don't build, I'll be ticked! I really don't want to move as I like my house and the neighbors who have not gotten involved in this mess. I supposed the worst that can happen is that we ask for the business permit and they say no. But, since the $ earned from the lessons was going to be how I paid off the loan, it seemes crazy to build a pool that will sit idle in the yard while I have to schlepp to another pool to teach. I am very lucky right now to have a pool at a school that I can use but boy would it be nice to commute to my backyard to work!
    Thanks for listening!!!!!!!
    joanneswimsct