Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing Tile

Posted by JeremyLin (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 22:37

Can anyone give me some suggestions/advice on picking pool tile? I've looked through some catalogs, but I can't even narrow it down. I'm doing a greyish bullnose coping and a hydrazzo pool finish in French or hatteras grey. It's difficult to find pictures online that are helpful. Any advice or suggestions??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing Tile

My PB gave me the catalogs and ordered samples of the tiles I liked and when they came in I drove to their office and matched tiles with coping. The only help I had was my salesman because no one else could come with me. Pick 10-15 tiles, see if your PB can/will order samples (or they may already have some of them at their office) and then go and see the tile/coping in person so you know exactly what they will look like. IMO, colors never look the same in a book as they do in person. I actually ended up going with a different coping once I chose a tile because I liked the way they looked together better than my original choice. It might be a pain but well worth the effort. I did the same thing when I picked my retaining wall color and am so glad I did.

o

If you can in person is the way to go. We ended up with a tile that when looking at the book we never considered but in person it was much diff.

o

We were lucky that one of the tile companies was local. We had picked some out from their book and then went to look. Neilaz is right - they didn't look the same. They gave us samples to take home which made a big difference.

I believe somebody on this forum said don't try and match the interior of the pool since it will look different depending on the sun/lack of. Our PB said the same thing - go with something different. Our coping is Grand Canyon light/dark. It has a lot of maroon and pink. Our interior is going to be a medium dark blue. The tile we went with is a light very bright blue with a little light tan running through it. It blends with the coping/bond beam but will stand out from the interior (hopefully).

o

Jeremy Lin,

As stated, you will be better off choosing several samples and need to see it all in person, and I also did not try to match my interior. I have blue granite ps and went with a reddish tile. It sort of pulled the flagstone coping and moss boulder waterfall colors together - see my pool build below.

With several, several tiles to choose from, the process is LINSANITY! --rim shot--

Here is a link that might be useful: my build @ TFP

o

Haha. Thank you yrqrm0. Appreciate the feedback.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here