Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can you confirm whether your pool is leaking?

Posted by reno10 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 22:04

Last summer, the water level in our pool kept dropping. It was pretty hot so I'm not sure if it's just evaporation. It could also be the settings because my dad was twiddling around the controls. The pool guy came out to correct the settings, but the water level still went down. I swear it didn't happen before my dad touched the controls. The pool guy suggested a company that specializes in pool leak detection but it seems pricey. Any help is very much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can you confirm whether your pool is leaking?

PS. I have no idea how a pool works...

o
RE: How can you confirm whether your pool is leaking?

I had a lot of water loss during the summer. It slowed down or completely stopped until about a month or so ago, meaning it is most likely evaporation.
Here's a good test:
Bucket Test
Get a 5 gallon bucket. Place it on a step and fill it with pool water so that the water level inside the bucket is the same as the water level outside the bucket. (Don't use the hose, the chemistry will be different affecting evaporation levels)
Using a marker, mark the inside and outside water lines. Leave it for 2-3 hours. If the inside and outside levels are different, mark the new water levels and not the elapsed time. Leave for another 2-3 hours and mark again. You should see no real significant difference between both inside and outside levels. They should drop the same-ish or hold steady the same-ish. If there's an inch or more of difference at the end of 6 hours, you probably have a leak.

How old is the pool and pool equipment? Is there a water feature or jacuzzi? Is the pool screened or open?
As for your father changing the settings, there's no setting combination that would cause water loss.

As for not knowing how a pool works, I can explain. The pump PULLS water out of the pool through the skimmer (which catches floating debris before it becomes waterlogged and sinks), main drain (on the floor of the pool), and vacuum lines (which suck up sunken debris). This water is first pulled a basket to catch the bigger debris, then passes through the pump and is now PUSHED (since it's on the other side of the impeller in the pump) into the filter housing. The water is forced through the filter and pushed back into the pool through the pool returns ('jets') or combination of pool returns and waterfall if you have one. The 'jets' push the water around the pool in a lazy circle so that debris is pushed past the skimmer, where it's sucked back in... the vacuum keeps picking up more debris... and the process begins again.

~Bridget

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here