Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobvilas_gw

Stained Concrete Steps

bobvilas
13 years ago

Anyone have any success with staining concrete for steps or seats in a swimming pool or spa?

I was wanting to cast some steps or benches out of concrete and then stain them with Scofield Lithochrome. I have done coping that was done in place and stained this way but never anything that would be submerged.

Comments (11)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Gunite needs to be covered either with tile or the plaster finish.

Scott

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

Stained, and sealed it will be fine. The question is, how will it look 5-6 years down the road after being subject to all of the elements (chlorine, salt, water, sun etc).

If it were me, I'd look into a natural stone that hard and dense.

Scott you can cover gunite with anything that will stick to it. Even paint and fiberglass.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Paint and stain, no difference. It needs to be redone periodically. Lets not get me started on FG. Yech!

Scott

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

Not really, Most fake rock is stained, and it holds up pretty well underwater.

• Jefflandisbanzaibobs
    13 years ago

This can be done well with the right products and skill. It will need to be restained and/or resealed in time depending on the products used to retain the visual apeal. However, the best thing to do is find a natural stone. This way will not require a sealer and/or stain now or later. Either way place it on top of the plaster during the plaster process or use a plaster bed to set the stone prior to the plaster process as so to maintain an impermiable shell.

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

"Either way place it on top of the plaster during the plaster process or use a plaster bed to set the stone prior to the plaster process as so to maintain an impermiable shell.:"

That is a recipe for disaster. I don't know of any builder that would want the plasters to set stone on the steps as they plaster.

You can always waterproof under the stones, but typically you can set the steps in a mortar bed and that is more than sufficient.

• bobvilas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did waterproof all the gunite where it is receiving tile or stone. I have waterproofed the entire spa prior to installing the glass tile. I have made custom cast concrete coping and I want to make matching seating for inside the spa. I am shaping them to have an actual "seat" to them.

I was just wondering if anyone on the forum had used precast and stained concrete in a submerged application. I figured those fake rocks I see in pools are made of concrete with acid stain over them. If they do pretty well, then I should be fine. I get about 7500 psi from vibrating my precast mix.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Bobby

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

I've got customers with fake rock/stained concrete waterfalls that have sections that dip in a foot to 18". Other than a little algae now an then, no probs.

I am not a fan of the look though. It sorta reminds me of the Flintstones. I much prefer weathered boulders but the weight on the floor needs to be accounted when designing the pool prior to the build if you're thinking of putting them in.

As a water feature like a waterfall, footers and pads need to be poured so the weight doesn't cause compression under it, generating pressure against the wall in the opposite direction it was designed for.

Scott

• trhought
    13 years ago

bobvilas...our boulders are all concrete made from molds of real boulders...Rico Rock is the manufacturer.

They offer an acrylic stain that we used on all the boulders after we mortared them in place to make everything look more natural.

We have these boulders everywhere in our pool...waterfall, submerged and in our landscape. All have the acrylic stain and we've had no problems after 5 years in a salt pool.

Below is a link to our pool.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Pool with Stained Concrete Boulders

• bobvilas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks trhought! So it's just a one-step stain and seal?

• trhought
    13 years ago

bobvilas...Thanks...I'm not sure if it has any sealing properties...they sell it as a stain. We used the rust and antique colors when staining our boulders and the mortar between the boulders.

It may be worth calling them to find out more about their product and recommended applications.

Below is a link to the product from their website...along with "contact us" information and a short video with staining procedures.

These guys were knowledgeable and helpful when we were building our pool.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Acrylic Stain

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County