Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Handrail anchors

Posted by papaflbear (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 21:31

I'm thinking of installing handrail anchors for a future handrail when age may require the use of such handrail. I would have to install the anchors in the sun shelf step in order to have the handrail reach far enough into the pool to be useful. Does anyone see any problem with the anchors being constantly in the water? Are there caps for the anchors to cover the anchor hole? And I would have to core drill the anchors into the gunite,.. any problems with doing that?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Handrail anchors

Hi. Installing anchors is fine and there will be no problem with using a core drill into the finished surface + the pool shell. You can get them now in brass or aluminum and I recommend the brass ones for the inside of the pool. I'm not aware of any covers for them and that would kind of be a hazard if you cannot find covers.

My advise is to purchase and install the handrails at the same time you install the anchors. The handrail won't get in the way and it looks nice. Also, you may want to get the handrail that fastens to the pool deck only. This way you don't have to worry about drilling into the pool shell on limited space.

o
RE: Handrail anchors

We got an extended "P" shaped handrail with two anchors on the pool deck (had to be grounded with the rest of the pool) and intended to only install the rail when my in-laws were visiting.
I had it installed offset to one side, instead of centered in the step, and it's perfect, and now we never take it out.
It's kind of nice to hang our towels on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here