Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolplasterexpert

I will answer pool plaster questions

poolplasterexpert
14 years ago

For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry on a national level. My range of experience spans from plaster application to plaster product design and engineering. I know all the plaster product manufacturers, almost all of the pool plastering companies, and many of the pool builders throughout the United States. I am now retired and have no interest in using this forum to promote any one company's brand or services. I will however use this forum to educate consumers about swimming pool plaster and to promote professional swimming pool construction practices. I pledge to check this forum at least once a week to answer questions or discuss related topics. Welcome

Comments (843)

• Henriette W
    2 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. Our poolbuilder sent out a guy who was not happy with the look of the plaster either. Very frustrating, but at least they recognize there are several issues. They will push for Tempool to come redo or fix or something, so waiting on that. Next week will be a month since fill.

• Linda Maddoux
    2 years ago

our pool was completed in Sept 2021 The name of the plaster is Sparkle Quartz Tahoe.

There are tiny sparkles coming up through the bubblers and from the spa overflow What is happening and will it stop?

• Linda Maddoux
    2 years ago

• Linda Maddoux
    2 years ago

• abrown54
    2 years ago

@Henriette W did tempool take care of this?

• Summer Weber
    2 years ago

We just had our pool plastered with Wet Edge product today. About 3 hours after the plaster crew left, it started lightly raining and has been doing so for about 2 hours. They are supposed to come back in the morning to acid wash. Is the plaster ruined because of the rain?

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    2 years ago

If the water puddles, those puddled areas will begin to cure the plaster and it may create a color difference.

Too bad plasters did not keep an eye on the weather. Tenting the pool would have been advisable. We have done this many times.

• Scott Thomas
    2 years ago

Is this an adequately chipped out pool? We have heard from other plaster companies that the company we are using does partial chip outs that could cause potential plaster defects. Want to address this before the plaster is applied.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Provided all the loose, de-laminating, and any soft plaster is removed, there's no issue.

However, a bond coat must be applied prior to plaster application. The surface must be thoroughly cleaned prior to it's application.

• Heather Leigh
    2 years ago

Hello I have a pool that was painted 6 years ago and the underlying plaster was in good condition but heavily stained. The pool is about to get resurfaced. I noticed the areas where the paint chipped are bright blue! Is this plaster underneath the paint or some other surface??

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    2 years ago

I would recommend removing all the old plaster and paint underneath. Multiple layers of material may pose a problem with bonding down the road.

The material can be chipped out or a jet blaster can be used. You'd want to get to the original substrate (concrete shell). Then a bond coat is applied and then new plaster is applied.

The paint showing through now, indicates a poor bond. Putting an additional layer of material on top, will most likely peel too.

• PRO
    Louisiana Pool
    2 years ago

@mojarashe You might want to look into ecoFINISH.

https://www.louisianapool.com/ecofinish

• suzannemowen
    2 years ago

The day our new plaster pool finished filling, we noticed a lot of crazing above one of the fixtures and a huge white streak going ftom the fixture down the side of the pool and towards the deep end from where water leaked from around the fixture both before and after the gray plaster was applied. The pool builder is acting as though it is not a big deal but I don’t like the ugly white stain and am concerned about the cracking. is this a structural issue we should be cincerned about? Is there any way to remove this stain? Very vigorous brushing hasn’t made a dent in it

• xtexan86
    2 years ago

Not an expert, but that looks like water leaking from the ground back into the pool and using the fixture portal to do so. If water was leaking through BEFORE plastering then that problem should've been addressed immediately. I'd be holding the contractor responsible and on the phone with your state's licensing bureau to file a complaint.

• suzannemowen
    2 years ago

xtexan86 tha ks for your reply. The water waa definitely coming through before plastering and again after plastering before the pool was filled. The discloroation has improved some after a lot of muriatic acid was added. Does this type of leak compromise the structural integrity of the pool?

• Deana Jefferson
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hello, is this normal AFTER an acid wash was done? Pool is 5 years old. The company who performed the acid wash said the original plaster was done poorly and that is the cause.

• Deana Jefferson
    2 years ago

• Deana Jefferson
    2 years ago

Is this normal after an acid wash?

• Ellen Slysh
    last year

Having our 28 year old pool renovated with Quartzscapes. In order to insure that the warranty is valid, I asked renovation company to provide evidence that they are a certified/approved applicator of the product. The only certificate they had was from 2017, stating that they are a "2017 Quartzscape Approved Applicator". Does this certification get updated annually (should I see one dated 2022) or is this one certificate from 2017 enough?

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    last year

Call the plaster manufacturer and ask them if the dealer has a current certificate.

National Pool Tile is the company-NPT

• HU-738269987
    last year

Is it possible to substitute black diamond coal slag for sand in the plaster mix?

• HU-976237693
    last year

I have a new wet edge surface done a week ago. steps and swim out are wavy and makes once perfect trim tiles look like an idiot installed them. Wet edge certified installer says hydro polishing would make it look worse yet Wet Edge said it can be fixed. Any thoughts?

• Barb
    last year

I had a new concrete pool deck poured right after my pool was replastered and new tile installed, same contractor. Right after the pool was filled, they came and used a concrete saw, made several cuts to lay pavers in like the expansion joints. The dust and and chunks of concrete landed in the pool. The same pool contractor sold and installed a Jolly filter. Said it never needs to be back washed. We complained about the concrete dust that was everywhere! Stuck to all our brand new patio furniture, black fencing around pool, AC units and of course IN THE NEWLY REPLASTERED POOL! The company came out at looked at it, turned on the filter, it cleaned it up as far as looks. But was never able to keep chems balanced. Hired a new pool cleaning co. He couldn’t keep it balanced either. Checked the filter and it was jam packed with concrete dust! He replaced something in the filter but 3 years later we still can’t keep it balanced. And my grand kids get out of the pool with bleeding feet. $30k wasted! I hate all of it. The pavers faded already and almost as white as the concrete. I’m no chemist but it sure does seem to me that fresh concrete dust sitting in a new plaster pool would cause a chemical reaction of some sort! Would I be correct?

While we were in the planning stage of the re do, I picked out tile for the water line and pavers to be installed in the expansion joints in the concrete. After both jobs started, I was told the tile I picked were both out of stock. Feels like a bait and switch and I had to hurry and pick something, limited choices. Also the job was put on hold for a few weeks. One of the workers told me that they were pulled off my job to work on the owners basement pour. I don’t know if it was the concrete co owner or the pool co owner. Either way it doesn’t matter. I hired the pool co, they hired the concrete co or maybe it’s a co they work with regularly, none of this was acceptable! The company was SWIMMOR. If you read issues people have had with them on Google you can see that it’s always the customers fault/problem. Stay away from them! I wish I had read reviews before ever considering them for my pool project!

• Caitlyn Kenefsky
    last year

Hi. Our pool is finished! Our finish is quartzscapes. Im worried about the in water chairs we bought for the tanning ledge. They have 3 inch wide feet on them. With regular use by 6 ft hefty adult men, will they damage the finish?

• doug spriggs
    last year

Don’t lose sleep on this. Lol

• Berly
    last year

First timer-building a pool in AZ-what your favorite pebble tec/sheen color? I'm going crazy trying to pic out. Thanks for any insight! My pool builder's favorites are aqua blue and blue surf. I have no idea what to do.

• HU-893656622
    last year

I have small elongated spots on bottom of pool that was refinished two years ago that appear to be imbedded rist. 1/4 long and 1/16 wide Noone can tell what it is or tell me how to fix. having difficulty getting install company to come look

• chispa
    last year

@Berly, here is the PebbleTec we used for the pool we built last year. I like a very light blue color for the water and used ivory Shellock paver by Artistic Pavers. The water is even paler than what shows up in the photos, more like what you see on the shallow sun shelf.

• mozaic8211
    last year

We just had our pool replastered and went from plaster to pebbletec. They did not do a full chip out and only chipped out the hollow areas. Also they applied a bond over the plaster and even left the tiles on the steps on and applied the new tile right over it. I even very concerned and there is no point of return bc they already finished. They guaranteed me they’ve been doing this for years and have never had a problem.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    last year

I have heard of contractors plastering over tile. I for one, am not comfortable with that. I would have chipped them. It doesn't take much effort.

If they guaranteed you in writing there would be no problem, then you can only go with that.

• mozaic8211
    last year

I doubt I can get anything in writing from them but do you know if a partial chip out is okay? The pool has never been replastered before and the pool was built in 1998. Thanks

• PRO
    Splash Pool Service
    last year
    last modified: last year

I‘m curious to see the answer to this. I’ve seen a pool that was partially chipped out, end up with calcium nodules all over the entire pool. Of course, the plaster company blamned water chemistry on the plaster defects.

• Gina C
    last year

Brand new pool and plaster… i think it looks awful, is this normal? PB just did acid wash and didnt help at all!

• Gina C
    last year

• Nova 2020
    last year

NPT PolishedScapes - how slippery is this finish? We will have a baja shelf and I'm worried about people slipping.

• thecolby7
    11 months ago

I just had my pool plastered and it kept starting/ stopping of the rain. Now i have what looks like several rust streaks down the sides of the pool. l. Is this caused by the rain?

should i get them to fix it and how?

• nidal bm
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Thank you, I enjoy making swimming pools, using applications such as pure polyurea for several advantages because of its waterproofing properties and not being affected by chemicals.

www.egypt-ets.com

• Rebecca Y
    8 months ago

Hi! We are trying to decide on a pool finish (we are in the Ojai/Ventura area). I love the feel of plaster but our contractor is arguing it will become mottled before we know it (we are favoring a dark/med gray color). They are pushing pebble sheen but I don’t like the feel (or the look). hydrazzo has also been pushed but it’s very costly and also apparently is a pain to maintain. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks so much!

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

The darker colors have more of a propensity to mottle as there are more dyes added to achieve those colors. Lighter colors will have less noticeable mottling.

Hydrazzo or any other plaster finish is nor more a "pain to maintain". Maintaining proper water chemistry for any finish is paramount.

It also starts at the beginning with the proper cleaning prep, favorable weather conditions on application day, and the skill and experience of the applicator(s).

We truck water in on every job to fill pools after plastering. Sequestering agents added during the fill and the going forward for 30 days maintaining chemistry and brushing as needed.

• juliamcgregor
    7 months ago

We recently had pebble tech installed in our 20 year old pool. They did a complete chip out. It looks lovely and we have water in the pool. However, in our new bubblers (and maybe other spots, idk yet) pieces of plaster keep coming up through the system. At time clogging the bubbler(s) until the come out. There are little pieces of the old plaster all through the pool in this purging process. Is this normal?? Should the various plumbing holes been covered to prevent this? Will it harm the plumbing system?

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    7 months ago

Contractor should have been more careful to plug off all plumbing and really and do a complete clean up.

Not a big deal pieces coming back through, but the bubbler orifice, usually small, could clog which means disassembling and cleaning.

• Katherine Dawson
    7 months ago

Our pool was replastered this year. The coping and tile was done last year. The new plaster has white spots all over the surface. They tried a no-drain acid wash with no results. The plasterer wants to wait until we reopen in April and do spot plastering. This does not seem like a good idea. The new plaster went over one layer of old plaster. Should we insist on a new plaster job?

The day they replastered it started to rain directly after they were done and they tried to tent the pool but we thing some of the rain got in and made the white marks as it looks like puddles on the bottom of the pool.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    7 months ago

Spot plaster?? It's not like it's drywall getting patched. Making a repair will definitely be noticeable especially on any colored plaster.

I've posted countless times on this thread about plaster issues and to reiterate, it all starts at the beginning with a proper prep, to weather conditions, application, filling and chemical care.

If any of these,and some in between not mentioned, are not strictly followed, there will be a failure in the finish.

The contractor should have been prepared with a tent before the rain. Carefully checking and monitoring weather prior to working pays off.

The white spots may be calcium nodules. In pool plaster, it generally indicates an improper bond of the plaster to the substrate (original plaster). Mostly seen on re-plaster jobs and not new pools. Re-plastering requires a bond coat to allow the old and the new plaster properly bond.

The problem will persist and probably won't go away. Acid washing might help a bit but can etch the surface making it rough. And who wants a rough surface on their feet?

Here's a good explanation on this subject. https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/calcium-nodules-in-pools.66499/#:~:text=What%20are%20calcium%20nodules%3F%20In%20swimming%20pools%20and,rough%20to%20the%20touch%2C%20hard%2C%20and%20generally%20gritty.

• Katherine Dawson
    7 months ago

Thank you for that information. The plaster they put on was over old plaster. If they were to replaster pool would you advise putting new plaster over recenly done plaster? I’ve read you should only have two coats of plaster.

• Katherine Dawson
    7 months ago

I have attached photos of what bottom of pool looks like. White spots and lines everywhere, but they are smooth to the touch. I guess we could live with it but we were promised a ”new” pool and it was thousands of dollars.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    6 months ago

Katherine Dawson

It looks like white patches more than isolated spots. If the no drain acid wash did not change anything, it probably won't go away. And, the acidic condition would etch the surface and make it rough creating another issue.

I would not re-plaster over those multiple layers. Both layers should be removed to get to the original substrate (pool shell) The most effective way is with a jet blaster. It's a specialized water pressure washer that can completely remove the plaster. Chipping the material off is a waste of time and does not get all of the material.

• diane louis
    3 months ago

I hope you are still answering questions!
    Everyone says I can not plaster my pool in a RED color.
    Bright red.
    Plaster guys say
    “ it will turn change colors over time, can’t customize a color, it won’t work with white plaster”
    How does the other colors work with white plaster??

I am confused when I search red bottom plastered pools.
    Why can you not customize the color?
    I hate the question “why red?” And the look the plaster guys give me.
    Easy answer because it’s my pool and that’s what I want.
    The guys get so weird about it.
    Who cares what color I want to do
    Thanks

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    3 months ago

You can certainly have a custom color made up.

The caveat is that to achieve this color and other standard colors, there are pigments added. They can fade over time. But it does not mean it will look bad. I've saw a pool many years ago that was a flamingo pink color.

The red finish will have a different appearance once the water is in the pool. This happens with essentially all the plaster finishes. Again, it won't look bad if it is your taste.

Your right. Who cares what color you want?

• HU-21343634
    3 months ago

Can you pool plaster plywood? I am making a hill billy steam room.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    3 months ago

No