Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cover Indoor Pool with Floor?

Posted by cimbrone23 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 21:03

We recently bought a house that has an indoor pool that we do not want to keep. The pool is in addition on the back of the house. We are getting quotes to fill the pool with gravel and cement. My father--who is a pretty smart and handy person--thinks we shouldn't fill in the pool, but instead cover it with a subfloor and put a floor on top of that. He said to put a trap door down to the pool in case we ever need to check it for water or moisture issues. He also suggested we put a dehumidifier in the pool (which is something we did in our last house in the crawl space). In theory, this sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm not so sure and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cover Indoor Pool with Floor?

Also, the pool has been empty for at least two years.

o

Oh and one more thing, I believe the pool is mostly contained in a concrete foundation and not in the ground.

o

There are probably a lot of people that would die for that setup. Can I ask why you don't want to keep the pool?

But what your father suggests sounds reasonable as long as you have a low water table. Keeping a pool empty is always risky if the water table rises and floats the pool out the ground. Just makes sure you have a working hydro-static valve in the bottom of the pool so if the water table does rise, the valve will open allowing water into the pool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here