Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c9pilot

Pebble and Tile Suggestions?

c9pilot
13 years ago

Our pool will be excavated on Friday and I'm still trying to decide on colors....we are in Florida and the pool is on the west side of the house with no cage. Our neighbor's pool gets too hot to swim in the worst of summer, but it's about half the size of ours, but I do need to stay lighter without being blinding white. Decking and coping will be Shellock tan (ivory is too white).

So, I'm looking for a way to get the look I want, which is called "cheesy resort" or "fake windex blue". Absolutely nothing that would be considered "lagoon" or "natural" or stone-like or Roman or Tuscan or Mediterranean, which all seem to be so popular now, just not what I'm looking for.

My choices are Pebbletec or Sheen (my DH prefers Tec for the look and feel) and Luv Tile or Mastertile.

My leaning is toward Blue Lagoon and Luv Earthview Blue (if you have the Luv catalog, it looks nothing like the picture.) and definitely a 6" waterline tile.

I'd love any suggestions and picture

Comments (14)

• stonesmama
    13 years ago

I have Blue Lagoon Pebble Tec with Shimmering Sea added to it, and I just love it. I wanted a more "Windex Blue" color as well even though I know it's not the current trend. The link below contains pics that I posted to another post about it a couple of years ago. I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Lagoon

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is an awesome color. I'll find out how much more the shimmer would cost us, but we're already over budget so it may not be feasible for us.

Do you remember what your waterline tile is? It's been suggested to get blue just to enhance the pool color, but a contrast might enhance it more. Not sure which way to go.

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FYI- "Shimmering Sea" is going to cost a flat $300 which is not outrageous. Designer is going to take me to see two pools that added it. PB thinks it is really nice and wishes he had it in his pool.

Here are a few of the tiles that interested me. Luv Tile "Earthview Blue" is the three panels (two 6" and a mosaic that is too shiny to see) to the right of the Pebble samples. Not crazy about the glass tile (for step trim and swim lane) but that was just the quick example that the designer grabbed.

From The New Blue Pool

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Outside the Luv Tile showroom:
    - that's my heavy Artistic Pavers Shellock Tan full-size 12" paver in the middle
    - the starfish are to illustrate the colors in the blue by-the-foot mosiac that is newly available, but no sample handy (potential step marker/swim lane marker)
    - the other pieces are just freebie samples from Tons of Tile that interested me, but clearly won't work

From The New Blue Pool

Closeup Earthview Blue

From The New Blue Pool

Close Up Bicio Papao Blue

From The New Blue Pool

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PebbleTec Blue Lagoon with Shimmering Sea (this is NOT the color I'm looking for):

From The New Blue Pool

PebbleSheen Aqua Blue with Shimmering Sea (this IS the color I'm looking for):

From The New Blue Pool

Luv Tile Earthview Blue in the shallow end:

From The New Blue Pool

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Artistic Pavers Shellock Tan coping
    Luv Tile Earthview Blue 6" waterline (perhaps with the 4-section mosaic for some interest on the spa)
    PebbleSheen Aqua Blue with Shimmering Sea (shimmer not pictured) for the pool finish
    For the step markers and swim lane: no-name surplus glass tile that my PB happens to have extra boxes leftover from another project - good deal!

From The New Blue Pool

• CatzRul
    13 years ago

Hi - I live in San Antonio, TX. my pool is being constructed now. We are also having trouble picking colors!. We have a big choice to make with the pool finish and are waffling horribly. Our contractor told us that they have a special right now and we can get CL Industries Sunstone Pearl White Pearl finish for only $500. That is the only color. I guess it's on clearance. Any other color would be another $2400. We initially were thinking of grey plaster. We have huge live oak and post oak trees in our back yard. The more research I've done on here and talking with people in our area, I think the pebble finish is a better choice. The problem is that my husband doesn't like the color white. He thinks it looks like a community pool. Other people here say their plaster has stained from the oak tree leaves and hasn't held up well. I don't want to spend another $2400. Any additional thoughts from the gallery? p.s. We are using Arizona flagstone and then a golden sand color cool deck with a texture. We are using that Earthview Blue tile from Master Tile that C9Pilot shows. It is in the random patterns. You guys rock! Thanks for suggestions.

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

c9pilot our pool is blue with blue tile. Look at the below thread for another idea

Here is a link that might be useful: Our new pool build in jacksonville

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CatzRul - not ;) - I know it's expensive, but I think a pebble finish will be worth it for you. I live in an older town where there are a lot of remodels, and most people are choosing pebble because of the staining. Even my friends with a caged pool have bad staining in their marcite, which is about 12 years old. I'm pretty sure all the pebble companies have lifetime warranties, so that's something to consider as well.

Brent - Love that Hawaiian Reef tile! Looks much prettier in application than the catalog picture, and goes great with your coping.
    Could I ask what brand/color your pool finish is? I couldn't find it on that long thread.

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

c9pilot it is Beach series Antigua by Marbletite ,Pebble finish, lifetime warranty. Hope this helps. Here is the website http://www.premixmarbletite.com/id4.html

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PB says he's going to give me the glass tile for free and I'll only have to pay for installation. Now I'm scared, because that's a lot of installation. Watching the tile guy work...it's pretty slow and I seriously hope he charges by the job, not by the hour.

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Waterline tile went up yesterday....

From The New Blue Pool

From The New Blue Pool

From The New Blue Pool

• stonesmama
    13 years ago

I love, love, love your tile!!!!!! When I picked mine, I was more worried about getting something that didn't show limescale build-up. I had seen a few pools in the area (where we have really hard water) and all of them had a white hazy line across them. I thought it looked terrible. I was in hopes that it would be less obvious with the tile I picked out. We've had the pool 4 seasons now and it hasn't been a problem. I keep the water well conditioned and keep it really clean. From what a local pool guy told me, not everyone does.

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have really hard water, too, so I'm already prepared that my regular maintenance will include wiping the waterline regularly.
    Those glass block spillovers that were so popular in the 90's aren't so popular any more because of the lime build-up.
    And if you let it build up on some glass tiles, forget it. The effort it takes to remove the scale/lime/whatever will take the iridescent sheen off, too.