Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solar pool covers

Posted by Mark75501 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 20:04

Good friends of mine are looking at buying a solar pool cover for their 24x40 foot pool. Options are the one piece plastic cover, which they have been told to cut into 3 pieces to make it easier to handle, or buying 8 of the disc shaped plastic covers and placing them around the pool. They are leaning toward buying the one piece cover, cutting it into thirds, and then just dragging sections out of the pool when they want to swim.
Any thoughts? Are these covers effective? Pool is located in Southern California. Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solar pool covers

Yes they do help and yes they are a pain to take on and off..I have not heard good things about the discs. Have they looked at a solar reel? (see link below). Do they have a heater and are they using it? If so then the solar cover would save them heating costs and pay for itself.If they have water features or there returns are breaking the water surface they are dissipating water which causes the pool to be cooler. So the first thing is to adjust the returns or jets in the pool or reduce usage of the water features.

Here is a link that might be useful: solar reel

o

I will give you the same answer I did over at Poolforum.

"It sounds like it might be high flow rate noise to me as well. Most likely in the pump itself. Can you describe your equipment and plumbing? Pump size/model, plumbing sizes, lengths, numbers of runs to and from the pad, etc."

But if you don't respond to questions, then no one can help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poolforum Post

o
RE: Solar pool covers (wrong post)

Ignore my last post. It seems to have been posted to the wrong thread.

o

If the pool is a really free form, your choices are the disks, which are better than nothing, a liquid fed system which disperses when the surface is disrupted slightly but reforms, or nothing at all. If the sides are straight, using one or two covers may be your solution. The two cover solution is best for dog legged and "L" shaped pools. The single cover is best for straight sided pools, such as rectangles, Grecian, or Roman shapes.

The idea of a solar cover is not to heat a pool but rather keep the evaporation at a minimum. This is the #1 loss of heat for a pool, be it day or night.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here