Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Jandy Underwater Lights Safe?

Posted by wolfhomma (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 20:00

In 2006, a PB installed a pool with a Jandy Power Center RS controller and various Jandy products in my back yard. Two years ago, I had to replace the bulb and gasket of the underwater light, because of water intrusion. Just yesterday, I tried to switch on the pool lights and noticed that neither spa nor pool lights lit up. Today I found the reason: The underwater light in the pool broke again due to water leakage and the GFI responded (thankfully) disconnecting all pool lights. Now I am wondering how safe I would be in the pool if the GFI breaker was of equally dubious quality as the pool light. As an electrical engineer I am willing to pull the light complete with gasket and wires and hand it to my colleagues at UL for close examination. Is this a frequent occurence with underwater lights?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Jandy Underwater Lights Safe?

The seal seems to be the problem. Make sure when you replace the seal that you are getting a orginal part for replacement and that there is no damage or corrosion on the sealing surfaces. It may be that you need replace the whole fixture. Most of the time this type of failure comes from improper water balance like a low PH. Are you having the same problem with the spa lights?

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Manual

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here