Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass tile repair

Posted by mudn (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 19:50

I have glass tile around my raised spa that my pool builder is going to pay to have replaced. I expect the work to begin in a week or two. The original tile was not installed correctly and so water, effervescence, maybe movement though there are not cracks evident, has cause the tiles to crack.

I'm having a different guy do the install and he warned me that the demolition will be messy and of course I'll have glass shards in the pool that will need to be cleaned.

Is it ok to have these glass shards cleaned up by my PV3 in floor cleaning system? I also plan on manually vacumming everyday when the work is going on. Will this harm any of my plumbing, etc? I do suspect it may trash my filter elements and so those will probably need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Andy

Here is a link that might be useful: My pool build

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass tile repair

Make sure your installer waterproofs the Shotcrete properly. Your glass tile could have cracked due to no mastic joint in the grout joints. You want to make sure that the proper mastic gets put in to the joints between the coping and tile and then every 8 feet around the spa. This allows the tile and coping to expand and contract with the temperature changes and will help with the cracking. Also your brown coat for the tile must set at least a minimum of a week before applying the tile.
Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here