Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confused about Pool Builder & Pool Choices

Posted by Zeppy.MD (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 17:43

Hello - any input would be helpful. We are in Maryland, looking to get a 750 square foot concrete pool. We have contacted at least 5 Pool Builders and are confused. One company is offering us Travertine Pavers at same price as regular pavers but they use Hayward Pool Equipment and do not offer lifetime warranty on structure or on plumbing. I have talked to people who have used them and everyone is very happy with them. What do you think of Hayward?
Another company is offering top of the line Zodiac Equipment and and lifetime warranties on structure and plumbing.
Both of these companies are smaller companies where the owners would over see the entire project.
The other company is Anthony and Sylvan.
All are offering comparable price for pool and equipment but if we want Travertine - can't beat the 1st company's offer... THe one that uses Hayward equipment... Any thoughts??? Also thoughts on Diamond Brite or Pebble Fina versus white plaster???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confused about Pool Builder & Pool Choices

There is nothing wrong with Hayward equipment at all...For the finish I like Diamond Brite...White plaster has no warranty...Go pull some permits from your courthouse from these companies and make some calls to the homeowners.

Rusty

o

I highly prefer Pentair over Jandy/Zodiac, and either of them over Hayward. Most is due to warranty follow up and service, as well as technology and energy efficient "firsts" in our industry. This is just based on my experience.

As far as interiors are concerned, I have never heard of plaster "not having a warranty." Maybe where Muddy-water is from, but in AZ that is not the case. We have 2 year on plain white marble plaster. Between plaster, diamond brite and pebble fina, I would go with Pebble Fina. In the same line of product, I would also highly consider UltraPoz, as we get a nearly unbeatable 7 year warranty on that product, which should last many years behind that.

muddy_water: I seem to disagree with a lot of your advice on these boards, which is completely fine, but makes me curious what state you build in?

o

I'm in Tennessee ...Let me say I'm a big Pentair fan (go on all of there trips) also it is all I sell in my store and install on new builds. But as you know there is a huge amount of Hayward out there working as designed. If I were building a pool for myself and it was a deal buster I would take the Hayward equipment...For the plaster, Plain white plaster does not a have a warranty. Both Diamond Brite and Pebble Fina
are very good products with extended warranty I believe 10yrs on Diamond Brite (see link below)
Regards Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Warranty SGM/Diamond Brite

o

hayward is certainly good stuff, but Pentair seems to be the technological leader. their automation, energy efficiency, and service is the best I've ever seen. We built about 50 pools last year, and we used pentair on every single one.

Regarding travertine...you can get travertine on the internet for about the same price as pavers now. think the place is called travertine mart. So that isn't a big deal.

We also are a big fan of the factory blended diamond brite. Super consistent..never have issues...and the company is great. Do a google search on the companies you are considering with the word complaints behind their name. you should find some more info that way. also, check out my site in the portfolio section. I've got a page that shows you different colors of interior finishes

Here is a link that might be useful: www.monogramcustompools.com

o

Thanks everyone for your input.

o

Stay clear of A&S. No supervision at all. No pride in workmanship.
Travertine comes in different grades, and colors. Make sure you know what you are getting.

o

I'm using A&S in MD and they are almost done and I have been happy with them.

o

Diamond Brite is a great brand and I think most widely used in in-ground pools. Your best bet is to ask your contractor what will work best for your pool considering size, climate, usage etc. My contractor was very helpful with all this information. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: MN pool builder

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here