Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeppy_md

Confused about Pool Builder & Pool Choices

Zeppy.MD
11 years ago

Hello - any input would be helpful. We are in Maryland, looking to get a 750 square foot concrete pool. We have contacted at least 5 Pool Builders and are confused. One company is offering us Travertine Pavers at same price as regular pavers but they use Hayward Pool Equipment and do not offer lifetime warranty on structure or on plumbing. I have talked to people who have used them and everyone is very happy with them. What do you think of Hayward?
Another company is offering top of the line Zodiac Equipment and and lifetime warranties on structure and plumbing.
Both of these companies are smaller companies where the owners would over see the entire project.
The other company is Anthony and Sylvan.
All are offering comparable price for pool and equipment but if we want Travertine - can't beat the 1st company's offer... THe one that uses Hayward equipment... Any thoughts??? Also thoughts on Diamond Brite or Pebble Fina versus white plaster???

Comments (8)

• muddy_water
    11 years ago

There is nothing wrong with Hayward equipment at all...For the finish I like Diamond Brite...White plaster has no warranty...Go pull some permits from your courthouse from these companies and make some calls to the homeowners.

Rusty

• natural_one
    11 years ago

I highly prefer Pentair over Jandy/Zodiac, and either of them over Hayward. Most is due to warranty follow up and service, as well as technology and energy efficient "firsts" in our industry. This is just based on my experience.

As far as interiors are concerned, I have never heard of plaster "not having a warranty." Maybe where Muddy-water is from, but in AZ that is not the case. We have 2 year on plain white marble plaster. Between plaster, diamond brite and pebble fina, I would go with Pebble Fina. In the same line of product, I would also highly consider UltraPoz, as we get a nearly unbeatable 7 year warranty on that product, which should last many years behind that.

muddy_water: I seem to disagree with a lot of your advice on these boards, which is completely fine, but makes me curious what state you build in?

• muddy_water
    11 years ago

I'm in Tennessee ...Let me say I'm a big Pentair fan (go on all of there trips) also it is all I sell in my store and install on new builds. But as you know there is a huge amount of Hayward out there working as designed. If I were building a pool for myself and it was a deal buster I would take the Hayward equipment...For the plaster, Plain white plaster does not a have a warranty. Both Diamond Brite and Pebble Fina
    are very good products with extended warranty I believe 10yrs on Diamond Brite (see link below)
    Regards Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Warranty SGM/Diamond Brite

• acaciolo
    11 years ago

hayward is certainly good stuff, but Pentair seems to be the technological leader. their automation, energy efficiency, and service is the best I've ever seen. We built about 50 pools last year, and we used pentair on every single one.

Regarding travertine...you can get travertine on the internet for about the same price as pavers now. think the place is called travertine mart. So that isn't a big deal.

We also are a big fan of the factory blended diamond brite. Super consistent..never have issues...and the company is great. Do a google search on the companies you are considering with the word complaints behind their name. you should find some more info that way. also, check out my site in the portfolio section. I've got a page that shows you different colors of interior finishes

Here is a link that might be useful: www.monogramcustompools.com

• Zeppy.MD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input.

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

Stay clear of A&S. No supervision at all. No pride in workmanship.
    Travertine comes in different grades, and colors. Make sure you know what you are getting.

• PoolMD123
    11 years ago

I'm using A&S in MD and they are almost done and I have been happy with them.

• AudreyW10
    10 years ago

Diamond Brite is a great brand and I think most widely used in in-ground pools. Your best bet is to ask your contractor what will work best for your pool considering size, climate, usage etc. My contractor was very helpful with all this information. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: MN pool builder

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz