Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pump Continually Starts/Stops

Posted by ls973800 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 16:08

The pump for the pool has been running/stopping/running several times that I've noticed lately.

It will stop for about a few seconds and start right up, run for a minute or two, stop again for a few seconds, and start right up again. The Hayward pumps are about 5 years old as is the pool.

Last year I was having a problem with the check system light saying no cell power. I had found the forum and repaired the K-1 solder connection. Yesterday I checked the board and the solder is still good on the repair.

This morning the pump was doing the on/off/on for about ten minutes and then continued to run OK until the timer shut it off.

I don't know if a pump is overheating (one pump for the filter, one for the sweeper/vac), or if a sensor is bad. If the pump were overheating, I would think it would stay off more than a few seconds or so. When it stops, the diagnostic on the control panel says Chlorinator Off/ Filter Delay and starts a 60 second countdown. The pump is running during this time.

This post was edited by ls973800 on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 16:46

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pump Continually Starts/Stops

I'd bet that just the motor is shot. Not that when a motor is replaced, the seal set should be also.

Scott

o

What is the brand and make of the pump?

o

The pumps are Hayward about 5 years old. One for the filter, one booster for the vac/sweeper

o

Single speed ? Super Pump?

o

Single speed, Hayward NorthStar pump series, SP1615Z1MNSR 2HP
Booster pump Hayward 6060 3/4 HP

o

Scott is more than likely correct that the motor is going bad. Turn off the main breaker and take the back off the motor and manually turn the shaft on the motor if it feels rough turning than you have a bad bearing and the motor or bearing in it and seal will have to be replaced.(there is a youtube video showing how to do this). If it turns freely take a look at the start capacitor www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cVgpz7GYQ. If both of these seem to be ok than I would look at the Relay in your Aqua Logic to see if it is putting out the proper power to te motor..

Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Northstar

o

Thanks, I'll take a look at the motor this week. The last several days everything has been fine once again.

Would the starter capacitor have anything to do with it shutting on and off? I thought if it won't start it might be the capacitor, but can it shut it off also?

o

Likely not but I have a few on those pumps that are starting to go bad (leaking dielectric fluid). So I thought while you were in there you should take a look at it...alot of times if a cap is going bad the lid (where the termials are will be raised rather than flat...like it trying to burst or implode.Just a questionwhy do you have a 2hp motor? Do you have water features on your pool? When your ready to change the pump or the cost to repair it becomes very high you should consider a Variable speed pump...if your running year round you could save alot on your power bills...see link below

Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Pentair

o

Yes, we have about 18,000 gallons and a weeping wall with 10 outlets in the wall. This is our first pool and it is what the builder put in.

We do run year round here in the Dallas area, usually about 6 hours during the winter and 12 or so during the summer.

I will serious look into the link you posted for me, it looks pretty interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here