Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About to begin new pool construction in Mississippi

Posted by dshlaw (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 15:37

I just signed the pool construction contract and dirt work should begin next week. Thanks all on this forum and at PoolSpaForum for the great advice that has gotten me this far. I welcome your continuing advice now and throughout construction. These are excerpts from my contract:

L-shaped, gunite/plaster "play pool": main part 15' x 32', depth 3.5' to 4.5' to 3.5'; short part will be 8' x 16', including an 8' x 8' spa with in-pool spa walls.
coping antique brick (double layer)
deck broom-finished concrete with brick borders and expansion joints
2 skimmers, 3 returns in pool
2" plumbing to/from pool and 2.5" plumbing to/from spa

Pool Equipment:
2 hp Hayward pressure pump for spa, model no. SP3015x20AZ
1hp, 120v Air Supply blower for spa, model no.6310120
3/4hp Hayward Super II pool pump, model no. SP3007EEAZ
Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner with booster pump
Hayward 400,000 BTU heater, model no. H400FDN
Hayward 27" Sand Filter, model no. S270T2
Hayward/Goldline AquaPlusCC Controls plus Chlorination with Hayward Aqua Pod remote control (programmed to control spa jets/blower, spa heater, spa and pool lights, and deck jets)
Hayward ColorLogic LED pool light and spa light
Six (6) deck jets
Two (2) volleyball deck inserts
Eight (8) spa return jets (Waterway Poly Storm) as follows: six located 7" above seat level; 2 located 12" above floor in seat wall
Maintenance Kit (including leaf skimmer, vac head, Taylor Complete Test Kit K-2006, 18" brush, vac hose and telepole)

Startup: Owner shall furnish water during construction and for the filling of the pool when completed. Contractor shall furnish necessary chemicals for placing the pool in operation. Contractor shall conduct all necessary plaster curing startup procedures, except that Owner will do the pool brushing during the startup period, and Contractor shall make the pool chemically balanced at the end of the startup period including adding the salt and starting the salt chlorine generation system.

Again, I welcome any additional advice, ESPECIALLY before construction begins. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About to begin new pool construction in Mississippi

See if he'll swap the Super II for a Super Pump. SUper IIs and 2" pipe = PITA to remove the lid.

Bump up to the S310. The 270T has an inch and a half inside up-pipe and will bottle neck the rest of the plumbing.

You're likely to need a second fixture in the pool.

Find out how long the PBs startup period is, in writing.

Have you decided on the tile and plaster?

I like the idea of the spa IN the pool.

Scott

o

Scott, what is the issue with the Super II and removal of lid? A Hayward rep suggested the 3/4hp Super II over a 1hp Super because the 3/4 was more efficient AND produced higher flow. Likewise, the same rep said the S270T2 has 2" internal piping.

On the startup, I emailed my PB the recommended plaster curing procedures from Troublefreepool.com. Do you agree with those?

On tile and plaster, my PB brought by several 6x6 tile samples to choose from. Is there something other than color to consider? What do you think works well to top the in-pool spa walls?

The plaster is just spec'd as light gray. Is there anything else about the plaster I should specify?

Thanks again!

o

I missed that it was a T2 which does have the 2" up pipe inside but it's still undersized for your pool, IMHO.

The discharge port is in the way of the cover removal tool on the Super II with 2" plumbing. I don't like needing a special tool for the cover.

I just love how manufacturers play games with impeller sizes and"Standard vs Energy Efficient"(Hayward) or "Standard vs Up-Rated" (Pentair). Same motors. Different impellers.

There's a reason over 3 million Super Pumps have been put in service. Simple to work on, fairly reliable as induction motor pumps go, and easy to use and cheap.

Please understand, I prefer Pentair/Sta-Rite products. But thats not to say I won't suggest what I think is right with other vendors gear.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here