Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sulfuric acid

Posted by jmas65 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 15:29

My pool supply shop has sulfuric acid and muriatic acid. The sulfuric is a buck less per gallon, and doesn't fume. Is anybody aware of any negatives associated with using it for pH control? Staining or smells or other reactions to watch out for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sulfuric acid

You can use either one for PH control. I put in a link to a new product but I haven't heard any input on this maybe some others on the forum know more about this.

Here is a link that might be useful: C02 injection

o

CO2 has be used for years.

o

My understanding from reading several sources from the University of Florida, etc the safest/best type of acid (for the plant!) is sulphuric acid.

The method I use to make handling sulphuric acid safer is I bought a new 5 gallon fuel container from a hardware store, it's different color than my regular fuel can and I labeled it conspicuously so I wouldn't use it in my lawn mower, and I filled it with about 4.5 gallons of water. I then carefully (taking various safety precautions) transfer two quarts of 33% sulphuric acid which I acquire at an autoparts store. This diluted solution is relatively safe to handle with only basic precautions. I then use it to reduce the pH of my tap water to about 5.2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here