Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you install sleeves for umbrellas in a paver patio?

Posted by buzz2 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 14:00

Hello,

I have searched the forum but haven't found anything with much detail about how to place umbrella anchors/sleeves in a paver patio (almost everything references installation of sleeves in a poured concrete patio). My gunite pool was put in this past summer. I delayed the paver patio to allow for settling to occur until this spring. The patio will be installed in early April.

Questions:

Can they be anchored adequately without concrete?

Should the sleeves be placed in the base first and the pavers cut around them?

I have seen retail pvc, brass, or SS sleeves (usually about 6 to 8 inches) referred to on this and other forums. However, if they are placed in a concrete base, and then the patio built around them, I am concerned that the finished paver patio surface will not be exactly flush with the sleeve, especially allowing for grading, etc.

Also, with the sleeves being only 6 or 8 inches in length, very little of the sleeve will be anchored in the concrete after allowing for the thickness of the pavers on top of one inch of sand.

The alternative, as I see it, would be to use long pieces of pvc (1 1/2 inch or 2 inch sched 40 per this forum) anchored in concrete, place the patio around them, then cut these pvc pipes flush with the surface of the pavers.

Is this reasonable? Are simple pvc pipes durable enough that they will last for many years or should I get a retail sleeve product? My concern is that simple pvc sched 40 pipe may crack and I won't be able to get it out.

Does anyone have suggested alternatives or experience with specific products or methods?

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you install sleeves for umbrellas in a paver patio?

buzz2,
Sleeves specially made for umbrellas are available thru most pool equipment distributors.
They are easy to place in a concrete base. The paver(s) around the sleeve should be set on concrete instead of sand for stability. Pavng contractors should know how to install the sleeves. It's a common item.
PVC doesn't work very well because the ID is an odd size for umbrellas. Good luck.

o

We just had a pool installed last summer and have two umbrella sleeves in the pool (one on the sunshelf, the other on the swimout ledge). I agree with golfgeek, the PVC sleeves we got are an odd size. I've found an umbrella that fits, but it limited my selection tremendously.

o

Golfgeek and SS-

Thank you for your answers. I'll check with my hardscaper. Hopefully he is fully familiar with installation of umbrella sleeves as gg said. I've become used to having to do my own research and telling my contractors what needs to be done. I find the knowledge of some contractors or at least their preferences quite variable, even ones that are otherwise competent and come highly recommended.

o

Golfgeek and SS-

Thank you for your answers. I'll check with my hardscaper. Hopefully he is fully familiar with installation of umbrella sleeves as gg said. I've become used to having to do my own research and telling my contractors what needs to be done. I find the knowledge of some contractors or at least their preferences quite variable, even ones that are otherwise competent and come highly recommended.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here