Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buzz2_gw

How do you install sleeves for umbrellas in a paver patio?

buzz2
11 years ago

Hello,

I have searched the forum but haven't found anything with much detail about how to place umbrella anchors/sleeves in a paver patio (almost everything references installation of sleeves in a poured concrete patio). My gunite pool was put in this past summer. I delayed the paver patio to allow for settling to occur until this spring. The patio will be installed in early April.

Questions:

Can they be anchored adequately without concrete?

Should the sleeves be placed in the base first and the pavers cut around them?

I have seen retail pvc, brass, or SS sleeves (usually about 6 to 8 inches) referred to on this and other forums. However, if they are placed in a concrete base, and then the patio built around them, I am concerned that the finished paver patio surface will not be exactly flush with the sleeve, especially allowing for grading, etc.

Also, with the sleeves being only 6 or 8 inches in length, very little of the sleeve will be anchored in the concrete after allowing for the thickness of the pavers on top of one inch of sand.

The alternative, as I see it, would be to use long pieces of pvc (1 1/2 inch or 2 inch sched 40 per this forum) anchored in concrete, place the patio around them, then cut these pvc pipes flush with the surface of the pavers.

Is this reasonable? Are simple pvc pipes durable enough that they will last for many years or should I get a retail sleeve product? My concern is that simple pvc sched 40 pipe may crack and I won't be able to get it out.

Does anyone have suggested alternatives or experience with specific products or methods?

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thank you

Comments (5)