Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Start Now On New Jersey Pool Dig?

Posted by Speckledhen (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 13:03

We were planning to start digging our vinyl liner pool at the end of March. But with a non-existent winter here in New Jersey, and temps predicted to be in the upper 40's and 50's for the next two weeks, I'm wondering if we should we start some of the work now? My biggest concern is just getting the mess in the yard cleaned up after the hole is dug. By this I mean, filling in the ruts from the digger, regrading the area around the pool, etc... I was told on this forum that they can't do the vinyl liner until temps are consistently in the 60's, but if I can get most of the "earth moving" out of the way, it might give my yard a head start to recovering. Any comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Start Now On New Jersey Pool Dig?

Not a good idea, IMHO. Liners need 60 degree weather to be set. If we get a Spring storm, you pool bottom would be hosed.

Scott

o

Thanks Scott. I wouldn't have them do the liner. I was hoping they could do the dig, haul the dirt away, and grade some of the yard so that when spring comes it's not a muddy, sloppy mess. Maybe this warm weather is giving me a bit of spring fever:-)

o

A dig would likely collapse anyway given the amount of time till the weather was conducive to dropping the liner.

Scott

o

Oh, it'll be a war zone after all is done. Do what we did... find a cheap sod farm nearby and lay your own sod around. Hard work over two days... but it took to the soil easily and looks great. We're happy we did it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here