Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY making own pool plaster.

Posted by johnnylaw (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 12:40

I'm replastering my gunite pool using white cement, silica sand, calcium chloride, and different colored pigments. I'll briefly explain my can of worms. Using one inch tiles strips as borders in a 45 degree stepped pattern, I am trying to replicate the traveretine tile pattern around the pool, hence the different colors. I have read mixing anywhere from 1:1,1:2,1:3 cement/sand respectfully. Ive also read to use 2-3 percent of calcium cloride, but it was unclear if that meant percentage to cement weight or weight of batch? The only answer I havent been able to find is the grit of the silica to use? Multi-grit 30,60,90? I know some colors are not mixible using calcium chloride so i'm sticking to pigments that can be. I used to be a plasterer and have done a fair amount of smoothcoat,so I have enough mechanical skills to fool myself to attempt this. I live in Phx. if the temperature changes the above mentioned. Your help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY making own pool plaster.

I forgot to mention a 1:1 ratio of water/acrylic fortifier. I have seen prices from $10.00-$40.00 per gallon. Is there a specific brand or type to use for pool plaster?

o

Johnnylaw, IMO you should use the 1/1 fortified mix for the scratch coat and switch to 1cement/2sand unfortified for the finish coat. If you want to fortify the finish coat try to acquire some plastic trowels. I would not suggest using any calcium unless your in a hurry.

The cheaper bonding agents just have a lower % of solids. Something like acryl 60 is a good choice.

Good luck on your project.

o

Johnny,
Talk to these guys, they are local to phoenix.
You can probably by the mix from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Universal cement

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here