Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stupid covered pool enclosure question

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 12:37

I don't know pools. Please be patient. :)

I'm looking at purchasing a home with a pool. It's an old scuzzy pool and will need a lot of attention. But what it really would need before we could move in is a fence.

But in the interests of safety and energy efficiency (maybe?) and less UV radiation (maybe?) and less maintenance (maybe?) and fewer mosquito bites, how ridiculous is a conservatory-type structure over the pool? It doesn't get cold here, just chilly. It doesn't really get hot either, a few days a year over 90F. Weather, no. Earthquakes, yes. (Lexan OK!)

Does anybody do this? I'm thinking of the old screened patio rooms with the glass panels one adds in the winter. They don't seem too popular for pools and I'm sure there's a good reason. What is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stupid covered pool enclosure question

Thanks, PC. I suspect at a certain point it makes more sense to rip out the old pool and start from scratch than try to repair and modernize an old one. I'll see what the pool inspector has to say before deciding that, of course!

o

I thought more experts would chime in here, but I think when you start enclosing a pool with something other than screen, you are now talking about an "indoor" pool and you have to factor in heat and humidity.
A screen "bird cage" (Florida-speak) may be necessary if you find that you can't enjoy your pool due to bugs. If they turn out to be no-see-ums, you have to get a special screening material to keep them out.
I'm fortunate to have enough breeze and far enough from swampy, mangrove, retention pond or preservation areas that I don't need a cage.

o

Thanks for the input, C9. Ventilation would be important I agree. A less glamorous option would be a fence and a retractable cover. I'll have to do a search and see if anyone likes those--the ones that slide back on rails. Insects aren't a huge problem, just a tiny concern.

o

Someone started a thread for indoor pool advice in the past couple of months (no time to find it for you, sorry) and someone either posted a picture or a link to a pool with a sort of sliding winter cover, somewhat like a sliding glass door, but 3D. It sounds like what you're describing to me.
You might do a search for that thread.

o

Thanks--I'll look for it.

We're thinking more about this sort of thing now, with a fence, and I know nothing about this brand and am not endorsing it etc. but the overall concept seems doable. (Especially since I'm not the tall one :) )

Here is a link that might be useful: retractable pool cover you can get under

o

I have been considering something like this because we have alot of leaves blow in the pool

Did you see the cost anywhere?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here