Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swim_dude

Built-in BBQ Island--Plans

swim_dude
17 years ago

We are planning on building our own BBQ Island and outdoor kitchen next to our new pool. I've already ran the gas, water (already have a clean out in place), and electrical under the concrete to the designated location. Does anyone have build-plans for a DIY BBQ Island? The ones I've been able to find over the internet aren't so hot. We want to do this right w/stone facing, granite counter tops, refrigerator, grill, side burner, sink, and an umbrella holder to name a few. Also, the ones at the home shows are too darn expensive for what they are. I'd rather have something built in vs. prefab. Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments (14)

• brunoflipper
    17 years ago

go buy this book

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon barbecue book

• sharlanet
    17 years ago

I made my own plans according to the space we had and what we wanted. I started with a basic line-drawing program and then used some software (called Plan3D online) to finish it up. I handed it to our builder (who was quite impressed ;) ) but I didn't want to turn him loose until he understood exactly what I wanted. He used my plan instead of doing his own. I got lots of ideas online searching for fireplaces and bbq's.
    Here's how it turned out:
    {{!gwi}}

Sorry the pic is so big!!!!

• neilaz
    17 years ago

Try this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: BBQ plans

• spatacular
    17 years ago

Not exactly plans but a lot of people with questions and answers frequent this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBQs Galore Island Construction Forum

• huskyridor
    17 years ago

quote" We want to do this right w/stone facing, granite counter tops, refrigerator, grill, side burner, sink, and an umbrella holder to name a few "quote

With your granite countertops this will be a breeze. All you'll need to decide is the length and width necessary for your drop ins. My biggest time consumer on new kitchens is determining my cabinet width for the chosen tile and the tile belt. Your granite man will cut the slab to fit your decking. Make sure and use a piece of quality 3"4" plywood decking, I like sanded birch. It's always the flattest.
    36" is the normal countertop height you can also go 42", you'll need 33 3/4" or more tall and 22" or more wide for an under cabinet fridge. Purchase your drop-ins in advance so you'll have your cut-out dimensions on hand for the grill, side, and sink.

If you'll post what rock your using and what Mfg and the Model numbers of the drop-ins I'll probably be able to give you your dimensions necessary. I save this info in a special file called "very useful useless info". 9 times out of 10 I can build my cabinets without the appliances on hand because I always save the dimensions on drop-in appliances by Mfg and Model number. If you'd like to know which ones you should use just let me know if you want the highest quality name brands or are willing to take a more affordable product.
    FWIW, I used the affordable ones on my summer kitchen instead of the better name brand Mfg's. IMO, stainless steel grills are just that, and I can't justify spending twice the coin to BBQ my yardbird. I'd be more inclined to buy a name brand fridge to keep my beer cold, LOL!!!

See ya,
    Kelly

• wetdog
    17 years ago

Kelly, I would love to hear what brand/model equipment you would recommend for the outdoor kitchen. Especially BBQ, side burner and stainless doors. I was just trying to figure this out if I should go BBQ Galore or Lynx or even Viking. I will have a covered two solid walled cabana. I thought about the under cabinet fridge from Costco... which is on sell now ??

Thanks for your help
    Wetdog

• sagemajor
    17 years ago

When we did our BBQ I drew lines on the ground for the contractor and told him the sized of the appliances that I ordered. His guys built it out of brick, put a cement top on it and then covered it in 12x12 granite tiles. I bought two buckets of Ameristone by Drivit to cover the sides with (rather than plaster).

We had two circles put on our BBQ, each about 11 feet around with umbrella holes in the center. After It was done I put the umbrellas in and they did not provide any shade, so I took them out and ran gas lines to each one and I now have flames shooting out of the middle of each circle.

As for the Appliances we selected Lynx only because of the springs that lighten the top, my wife wanted it. I liked the DCS better, mostly because of price. We bought all the stuff locally At BBQ outlet in Orange on santiago Canyon Rd. but the prices were the same as I could find online. The owner talked me out of l larger grill and suggested I get the $150 Danboy fridge rather than the $900 one. I also ended up getting 14 chairs to go around the BBQ from them.
    Sage

Here is a link that might be useful: bbq outlet

• scrapula
    17 years ago

Wetdog,

There is a huge difference in quality between gas grills. Cheap stainless does not equal high end stainless. You'll need to cook on both to tell the difference. It also depends on how much you are going to use the outdoor kitchen. It may not be worth the investment of a high-end grill if all you cook are burgers and hot dogs.

Lynx, Viking and Alfresco are really nice grills. I got a great deal on a display kitchen with all Viking, so that's what I have. I use the dual side burners all the time. I prefer cooking with gas and our home cooktop is electric. We use the outdoor fridge just for storing sodas and beer. I didn't think that I'd use the warming drawer that came with it, but it's come in handy for parties. So, that's something for you to consider if you do a lot of entertaining.

• mkfmedic
    17 years ago

We went with a prefabricated unit that is really nice! Our reasoning was the fact that a prefab unit is not a permanent structure and could be placed right up against a property line. An actual built in stone, steel, block bbq. in our area would have to be placed a minimum of 5' from the property fence. Since we have such a small yard, it did not make sense for us. However, our prefab unit is really made well, with steel studs, a trex floor, polymer stucco, marble, built in lighting, a 32" LYNX grill, a built-in fridge, one SS cabinet door and a SS utility drawer. They also put in 5 low-voltage lights unbder the raised counter. Oh yeah, it has an umbrella holder and electrical outlets galore. By the way it is a 9' "boomerang" shape, which translates into a gentle curve. Sorry we don't have better pictures, but I can tell you that it is a gathering point for any party or get-together and will be much enjoyed by all. By the way, our LYNX grill is FANTASTIC!!!

Good luck with your project,
    Mike

• wetdog
    17 years ago

Scrapula, living in the Eastbay NorCal. I probably BBQ
    1 or 2x a week in the winter. Spring,summer,fall more like 4x a week. I have had a Webber that I switched to natural gas and have had about 10 years that is finally showing rust on the flavor bars. Being that I have young kids and couldn't afford to buy my house now,due to skyrocketing realestate. I will be here for at least through highschool12-15 years and just finding a balance of funds with the whole pool,kitchen/cabana which will be 22x24. Thanks

Mike, who do you work for and what color/brand is your coping and concrete??

Thanks
    Wetdog

• johninsocal
    17 years ago

definately go for the $150 danby fridge over the 1K fridge. I have done both and my indoor u-line 1K frdige broke down in 2 years and had to be fixed for a price of $200, the part was not covereed under warranty because it was not compressor related so screw that crap and forget about the "5 year warranty" that probably covers next to nothing on expensive fridges.

I buit my own BBQ island as well and put in 2 fridges outdoors. They are not even rated for outdoor use but they are GE fridges I bought at sams club and have been going strong for a couple of years and only cost $100 each. Even if I have to replace it every year for 10 years it covers the price of a U-line or some other overpriced fridge. I asked the repair guy that fixed up my 1K u-line fridge what the difference was between my 1K fridge and the cheap ones and he said not a darn thing except the real expensive ones have a flat face where most econmy fridges have a slight rounding to them. Front venting may be important for indoor under counter fridges but out in the BBQ island that is well ventilated in the back I don't think it matters.

good luck
    -- john

• mkfmedic
    17 years ago

Wetdog,

Our coping is standard gray concrete with a double beveled edge, and our deck is called Yosemite Brown. The concrete for both is by Davis and the coping is a standard smooth finish, and our deck was sandblasted and is not sealed due to our proximity to the beach.

Regards,

Mike

• nathanastle786
    15 years ago

Hi
    this is Nathan castle.I'm new to this forum.I'd like to add a post on this topic and I'd like to share my view of suggestions
    workout plans

• whittiergrower
    14 years ago

I looked for plans online and none of them fit my needs. I looked at prefab units and the all seem to fall short. So I decided to design my own BBQ Island, Bar, Outdoor buffet and patio. My research and thoughts in the link below.

http://www.bbqexpert.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: BBQ Expert - How to design and build