Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muffn

Pool on a slope?

muffn
10 years ago

Hi, we're building a house and we want to install an inground pool, hopefully within a year after the house is done. The house will be built with a walkout basement exiting down a 17-20 degree slope. Has anyone installed a pool with similar circumstances? Did you need a retaining wall? Our architect says that they can use the dirt from the excavation to create a nice flat area behind the house where the pool will go. And he says we won't need a retaining wall. Does this sound right?

Comments (3)

• asbamba
    10 years ago

What state are you in? Frost, hard freeze area? I ask this because I am in the middle of a pool mess (see post below yours about pool losing water in February). During my research I discovered a lot about ground water and how it affects pool installation. Although we are not out of our mess; we're told that because our pool is poured concrete, this may save us. How does this relate to your pool situation, the 17-20 degree slope will naturally put you in a "pool" of ground water surrounding your pool.

I am not an expert or a professional, just a person who has had to learn a physics lesson about water in a couple of days. Based on that the retaining wall sounds logical and perhaps should be further reinforced with re-bar or something.

Just hoping to help avoid a situation like my situation years down the road if it can be avoided now with some planning and thinking ahead.

• muffn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're in MD, so no, not a hard freeze area. We live a few blocks from the Chesapeake Bay and when we installed our current pool, we hit water. It just meant more $$$ because they had to bring in special equipment to excavate. But it's never been a problem. We're moving farther away from the Bay, but either way I'm guessing the water won't be a problem. So sorry about your situation :(

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your home build.

I would claim your pool space along with your home build.
    I would be vocal to all involved in your home build so you do not need to reroute electrical later.
    I assumed I had a pretty open and clear space for my recent inground pool installation. Turned out that one corner of the proposed pool was 23 inches lower . I have a three sided retaining wall in place.
    Septic, gas, electric lines and well water have pool distance restrictions.
    I also have wetlands near the residence so I just squeezed in their guidelines a pool.

Having lived in five states I would head to your town hall to see what guidelines are required in your pool build. A preliminary visit to a pool company could save you money and heartache .
    I was lucky that my electric panel was near the pool build. I was also lucky that I had a dirt driveway so I was able to trench to lay pool lines.
    I was originally placing the filter closer to the pool but I had space issues.
    100 ft was the common distance I needed from well or septic lines and wetlands. Five feet was also the common distance I needed for pool to electric lines . Add in a fence and my pool design was threatened since I was squeezing in the pool.
    The electric company was on site reciting me three different electric codes.

Know your local codes, pool location, equipment location and would the town permit the pool.

Also make sure you have access to the area. Have an idea how machinery will enter and exit.

Plan ahead.
    See regulations in writing .
    Don't assume that the verbal word is gospel truth.
    Good luck