Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice on inspecting an old pool?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 11:49

Hi all!

I'm considering the purchase of a house built in the 50s that has seen better days. I can handle the house (same builder as my current one) but it has a pool. I know nothing about pools and I'm wondering if there is anything obvious I should be looking for when doing a more detailed inspection of the house. It looks like it may have been installed in the 60s. Or 70s. Maybe 50s. I can't tell!

There is a solar heating system on the roof that looks pretty rusty. We don't think that's a huge concern since the roof needs to be replaced anyway and we'd probably want to update it but maybe it's not that easy. And do these things ever leak? Do we need to check the attic below it and everywhere the pipes go extra carefully for water damage?

It seems to be a regular California style blob shaped pool, with a little tile near the top and concrete (plaster?) for the main part of the pool. It's clearly not been replastered recently but looks okay. The concrete walk around the pool is a bit cracked. The light in the pool is cracked.

Something near the filter had written on it "filter changed in '95".

So, what do I look for? I just don't want a disaster. If we get the place, we will probably modernize what we can with heating, filtering, that nifty salt water chlorine generator system, etc. Is it possible to update those things without ripping out everything?

Any suggestions are welcome! (Yep, we've already heard "run!") Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice on inspecting an old pool?

Get it inspected by an experienced pool services provider just as you would get the house inspected professionally.

Troublefree Pools has an excellent pool school with a pictorial glossary .

Scott

o

fori,
Most cities and counties have some type of record for the permits issued on a piece of property to give you an idea of the build date. Probably would be of no particular value other than you will know the structure had been inspected.
Ditto pool inspection idea.
Good luck.

o

Thanks guys!

Permit for the pool! I'll check that. Apparently the kitchen wasn't permitted and neither was the addition but I don't think the Realtor checked for the pool. So...uh...we might keep looking (but not because of the pool). But it's a nice lot and it's a cute pool so if the price is right...

An actual pool inspector seems like a darn good idea, as does the pool school tutorial. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here