Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

advice on inspecting an old pool?

Fori
13 years ago

Hi all!

I'm considering the purchase of a house built in the 50s that has seen better days. I can handle the house (same builder as my current one) but it has a pool. I know nothing about pools and I'm wondering if there is anything obvious I should be looking for when doing a more detailed inspection of the house. It looks like it may have been installed in the 60s. Or 70s. Maybe 50s. I can't tell!

There is a solar heating system on the roof that looks pretty rusty. We don't think that's a huge concern since the roof needs to be replaced anyway and we'd probably want to update it but maybe it's not that easy. And do these things ever leak? Do we need to check the attic below it and everywhere the pipes go extra carefully for water damage?

It seems to be a regular California style blob shaped pool, with a little tile near the top and concrete (plaster?) for the main part of the pool. It's clearly not been replastered recently but looks okay. The concrete walk around the pool is a bit cracked. The light in the pool is cracked.

Something near the filter had written on it "filter changed in '95".

So, what do I look for? I just don't want a disaster. If we get the place, we will probably modernize what we can with heating, filtering, that nifty salt water chlorine generator system, etc. Is it possible to update those things without ripping out everything?

Any suggestions are welcome! (Yep, we've already heard "run!") Thanks!

Comments (3)