Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowds_gw

Propane Heater or Heat Pump

bowds
10 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I live in northern NJ (Sussex Cty) and have an in-ground pool. Not sure of exact size of it but it's approx. 25k gallons. I have been using a propane gas heater for the past eight years (Heyward 400k) but it died on me at the end of last season. The heater did a great job heating the pool and spill over spa quickly, but it cost me a fortune to do so. We use the pool a lot and like to keep the temperature up around 85 for general swimming. The problem is that up here in northern NJ it gets cool overnight even in the summer. Even in mid summer it's down in the 60's, and even colder at the start and end of the season. So pretty much everyday we have to use the heater to get the heat back up.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the heater. It's just costing me around 1500-2000 a season to use it with propane gas (my only option) at over $3 a gallon .

My question is about heat pumps vs the gas heater. I am seeing that the max on most units is around 140k btu, as compared to the 400k from the heater. However, I have heard that it is significantly cheaper to use a heat pump and just maintain the higher temp.

Will a heat pump be able to generate enough heat to maintain the pool in the mid 80's and then the spa even higher?

Will the heat pump be cheaper to run or since it will be running constantly will it just end up costing the same anyway?

I do notice that the cost of the top of the line heat pump is a good thousand more than the gas heaters.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH