Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dshlaw

New L-Shaped Pool in Mississippi (with pics)

dshlaw
13 years ago

Construction is well underway (actually only a week in) here in Mississippi. They are shooting the gunite this morning. Thanks for the all the help on this forum getting us this far. Here are the particulars:

L-shaped, gunite/plaster "play pool": main part 14.5' x 32', depth 3.5' to 4.5' to 3.5'; short part will be 8' x 16', including an 8' x 8' spa with in-pool spa walls.

coping antique brick (double layer)

deck broom-finished concrete with brick borders and expansion joints

2 skimmers, 3 returns in pool

2" plumbing to/from pool and 2.5" plumbing to/from spa

Pool Equipment:

2 hp Hayward pressure pump for spa, model no. SP3015x20AZ

1hp, 120v Air Supply blower for spa, model no.6310120

3/4hp Hayward Super II pool pump, model no. SP3007EEAZ

Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner with booster pump

Hayward 400,000 BTU heater, model no. H400FDN

Hayward 27" Sand Filter, model no. S270T2

Hayward/Goldline AquaPlusCC Controls plus Chlorination with Hayward Aqua Pod remote control (programmed to control spa jets/blower, spa heater, spa and pool lights, and deck jets)

two (2) Hayward ColorLogic LED lights in pool, one (1) ColorLogic spa light in spa

Six (6) deck jets

Two (2) volleyball deck inserts

Eight (8) spa return jets (Waterway Poly Storm) as follows: six located 7" above seat level; 2 located 12" above floor in seat wall

Maintenance Kit (including leaf skimmer, vac head, Taylor Complete Test Kit K-2006, 18" brush, vac hose and telepole)

Here are a couple of pre-gunite photos:

Comments (23)

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shooting gunite...

• c9pilot
    13 years ago

Awesome!
    I'm really nervous because we're one day behind you! (The shotcrete had to be put off until tomorrow because of a cave-in issue in our deep end.)
    (I'm the St Petersburg, FL pool thread.)

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

c9pilot, gunite day is nerve-wraking because you start to question all the little decisions you've made knowing that you can't change most of them know.

I checked out your blog and love your pool. I will follow along with your construction. We can compare notes. Good luck!

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A couple of more mid-gunite pics...

• c9pilot
    13 years ago

dshlaw-
    No kidding - I know I was annoying the guys yesterday asking them what they thought about this or that (adding a step to the swimout? how are the spa jets arranged? etc) and had a laundry list of things to discuss with the PB...all in a semi-panicked state - no design changes after tomorrow!
    Now I'm looking at your pictures and thinking, where are my skimmers?
    BTW - I really like YOUR pool. That bench/swimout along the one side is going to be awesome. Is there a spillover for the spa or is that an infinity edge? Do you know about how many sqft and gallons your pool is? (I only have a vague idea on mine)
    Looking forward to seeing your "after" pix!
    -Lisa

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa, thanks for the compliments. To answer your questions, my spa will be like an infinity edge--it is my understanding that it will spill evenly over the two in-pool spa walls when in "pool mode."

And I think my pool is about 16k gallons. The main part is 14.5' x 32' and the short part of the "L" is 8' x 16', including an 8' x 8' spa. Depth is 3.5' to 4.5' to 3.5'. I'm sure volume in gallons is a simple calculation, but it is nevertheless beyond my mathematical abilities. -David

• c9pilot
    13 years ago

David-
    That looks great!
    It's funny, because I never would have had an appreciation for something like this until going through it myself.
    The guys showed up at my house a little before 8 to set up the plastic sheeting and set string to mark the wall thickness. They've been shooting for about 45 minutes now and the 2nd truck just showed up. Everything just has a thin layer of gray on it, including the inside of my house I think, unless I shut the back doors.

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Coping almost finished...

• c9pilot
    13 years ago

That is looking really, really good, and I don't even normally like brick. It really accentuates the geometry of the pool nicely.
    Ready to swim yet?

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lisa. As warm as it has been in Mississippi the last couple of weeks, I am about ready to swim. Here is a picture of the finished coping and tile. Plumbing and pool decks next.

• c9pilot
    13 years ago

I like that blue tile - looks like one of the Mastertile series?

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not sure - My PB just brought out several to choose from, and that was one of them. Here's a closer view.

• c9pilot
    13 years ago

Very pretty blue.
    Looks to me like MasterTile Venetian series in my catalog, which (I think) is the Bellagio series online, in Indigo.

It even looks like something I might want. Must be that the sample my designer had was seriously off-color or looks more "stone" in real life than I was wanting. Not sure why that tile's not in my lineup.

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plaster and fill-up day!!!

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

What happened to the jet positioning in the spa on the short wall?

Scott

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was told one of the holes you see (the lower one on the right) is a "return," not a jet. Does that make sense?

• houseful
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I am partial to blue tile. Your tile looks like this one that I have on my pool. It is called Corsica by Noble Tile.

{{!gwi}}

I love your brick and your view is beautiful!

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

@dshlaw: If the lower port is the "pool" return in the spa and it shuts off when the spa is in use, while a bit funky looking, would be fine.

If it's the jet, someone is going to get an enema!

Scott

• dshlaw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@houseful: Thank you for the nice compliments! I don't know the name of my tile; it is one of several my PB brought to us to pick from.

@Scott: I think you are correct that the lower port will shut off when the spa is on, but (no pun intended), if not, guest reactions may make for interesting conversation!

• brgrbeja1
    6 years ago
    I know this is an old post but if it is still checked would you mind telling me the length of the brick coping? Are the bricks 7.5 inch bricks or are they smaller? Would you also mind attaching a finished picture of the pool? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !
  • PRO
    Water Scuppers and Bowls, LLC
    6 years ago

Great looking pool! What en exciting project. The blue tile was a great choice!

• lisalee710
    5 years ago

Could you share a picture of the completed pool with water? This is our dream pool