Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easement Question

Posted by Caddyshackfan (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 11:28

Hello all,

Great site I've been lurking for months now.

We are about to start a new build in Katy Tx, In the design our decking will encroach into our utility easement somewhat. I know that if they ever need to repair utilities that I will be responsible for costs relating to this. I have no problem with that, it's a risk I will take. How do I get permission to place decking in there from the utilities? or do I need to? any help would be great. Thanks all

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easement Question

I know you can request a waiver from Centerpoint for the portion of the easement that you're encroaching upon.

If you don't want to go through that process then you can just have your deck built knowing that Centerpoint has the right to tear it up where it encraoches if they need to.

I live in the Houston city limits where the rules are a bit more stringent and they did not measure where my decking ended in relation to the utility easement. They do, however, pay close attention to the distance the water's edge is from the power lines. It must at least be 25' from the power line to the water. Double check and be sure you're not encroaching on the 5' aerial easement as opposed to the 10' regualr utility easement.

o
RE: Easement Question Correction

the clearance to the water should be 22.5 feet, not 25 as I previously posted...

o

Thank you. I looked into the Centerpoint process and it's a bit pricey. $500 to apply $500 if you get approved and heaven forbid if they have to come out for anything $$$. I may just not encroach.

o

Yep. It cost me $2k to move a power line higher on the pole and $1k to relocate my gas meter. I assume your encroachment is slight to where you can just avoid the easement. I actually had a survey company come survey and mark the easements so there would be no questions....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here