Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gunite calculations

Posted by awoodwaring (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 11:03

Hello,

I am currently doing owner builder for the second time (first time was a success thanks to this site). Anyhow, there seems to be some confusion getting bids this time around on gunite. The bidders seem confused by my almost 900sf area combined with a 112 ft perimeter. Why would the calculations for gunite not take into account both? And, why is this suddenly confusing to the bidders? I cannot be the first to have a relatively larger area vs perimeter. For what it is worth, my drawing was done in AutoCAD and the area/perimeter are calculated for you.

Here is my logic: The pool is a bit more boxy, so it would stand to reason the perimeter would yield a relatively larger area. Think along the lines of a 5x1 rectangle ( perimeter = 12, area = 5) vs a 3x3 square (perimeter = 12, area = 9). I would think with gunite calcs, you would be looking more at area vs perimeter for the bottom and perimeter/depth for the walls.

So, what is the formula for calculating the yardage required for gunite?

This post was edited by awoodwaring on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 11:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gunite calculations

You can take your interior area (walls and overall floor) and divide by 45. Add for other features like spa, raised bond beam, waterfall pads, caved out/rocky walls, etc.

Its a start, but guessing the exact yardage is near impossible unless you have a perfect nuts on dig.

Being a builder, this is one of the main reasons I like shotcrete over gunite. Shotcrete is delivered by a third party concrete supplier with "mud slips" for exactly how much leaves the yard. We demand all mud slips and know exactly what is placed, not just what is ordered.

With gunite, asking for mud slips is impossible, and you're just trusting the guy you're writing the check to to be honest, as he is the supplier and placer of the concrete.

o

Thanks, natural one. I appreciate your input. Gunite tends to be the only thing used in my area (that I know of, anyhow).

I am assuming the factor of 45 includes a conversion of the sf to yards and accounts for the standard wall depth?

o

Yes it does, however you need to figure out what your interior area is, which is dependent upon your actual depths.

One simple way is to find your average depth (maybe take 5 various depth points of your pool and divide by 5) and multiply this average depth times your total pool perimeter to calc you entire vertical wall surface area. This wall surface area added with your pool surface area (the floor) will give you your interior area, or i.a. as we refer it to.

Divide by 45 and your getting pretty close.

If I was an owner builder, I would ask for onsite visits after the steel is installed with written and firm bids, "not to exceed".

o

Yeah, all my gunite bidders recommended a "firm" bid after steel (to protect themselves, as well, from any dig issues). Just trying to get a pretty solid number to see what needs to be cut from the budget. :)

o

If my advice doesnt line up, feel free to post your dimensions and features and the couple builders like myself on this forum could take a guess as well.

o

Thanks...I'll see if my bidders can get more aligned; there was a 2k discrepancy (on a 6k average bid). Yikes!

o

Awood,
Where are you building your pool. I see you commented on my post and I was also considering doing a owner build myself. I have one source here locally that also did a owner build and he has said he would provide me with contact information for some subs. If you have any suggestions please send them my way.

Thanks,
Todd

o

I am in Northern CA...a bit far from you. :) I had a good experience doing owner builder, but I am also comfortable reading plans and I know the basic construction jargon. I read about everyone watching every step the subs make, and that is essentially what an owner builder does. I just save the money from not hiring a middle man.

Read all you can on this forum, if that interests you. If not, don't go owner builder. :) I am sure you will find subs frm this forum should you choose the owner builder route, or ask around ( I.e., ask the rebar guy who he would recommend for plumbing).

o

Awood,
Thanks for the reply. I have a relative in the construction buisness so we have a few contacts already. Only thing I am still having an issue with is plumbing and equipment. If I can figure those out then I'll probably go the owner build route. I've been lurking here for several years so I have alittle knowledge of the process.

Thanks,
Todd

o

Awood,
Thanks for the reply. I have a relative in the construction buisness so we have a few contacts already. Only thing I am still having an issue with is plumbing and equipment. If I can figure those out then I'll probably go the owner build route. I've been lurking here for several years so I have alittle knowledge of the process.

Thanks,
Todd

o

You have posted on my post..and Im very interested to see your progress!!!
Dena

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here