Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sundance Hartford vs. Jacuzzi J345 vs. Hydropool 7000

Posted by Markwagz (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 10:59

Buying our first spa and need some unbiased feedback. Have narrowed down our list of Spas to consider to the following:

* Sundance Hartford w/ optional circ. pump. & ozone
* Jacuzzi J-280 w/ optional circ. pump. & ozone
* Jacuzzi J-345
* Hydropool 7000

The Jacuzzi dealer said the Jacuzzi 300 series would be better compared to the Sundance 800 series and that the J345 would have far superior jets, abs solid bed pan, dual filters, energy plus package, superior lighting and hydrotherapy. Jacuzzi dealer also said the J-280 would be a little more comparable to the Hartford, however the J-280 is larger, deeper, more jets than the Hartford. When I asked about year-round use and insulation, Jacuzzi dealer also said the Sundance Hartford had a simple sprayed foam insulation (not at all 100%) and both the J280 and the Hartford would average $30 a month to run (12 month MI weather) - less in the spring, summer and fall but a little more in the winter. Further I was told the J345 has a much more engineered insulation package and would average around $18 a month.

Quotes received included delivery, start-up chemicals, covers & lifter. All-in, the J-280 is coming in at $6,495 and the J-345 at $6,595 (plus tax). Still awaiting quotes for the Hydropool and Sundance, but would really appreciate any input on the quality, reliability and insulation/energy-efficiency for year-round operation in a snow state.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sundance Hartford vs. Jacuzzi J345 vs. Hydropool 7000

Markwagz,
I haven't kept up with spa market in the last few years, but I always thought it was important to have the entire cabinet foam filled. This keeps down the heat loss in the plumbing. I would suggest installing the ozone option. It works very well in spas. If the product has an electric heating element, just make sure it is 220v.
For the sake of full disclosure, I was a Hot Springs dealer from '82-'09.

o

As a tech, Jacuzzi has a habit of doing things slightly different, just enough to where the usual parts like motors, wet ends, etc... require parts from them. Not that it's hard to get but this can cause delays for repairs.

Scott

o

I'm not a fan of Jacuzzi as well because of their proprietary parts. They have very little benefit to the client. The complicate the procurement and pricing of the parts.

Since 70% of all body of water heat loss is off the surface I don't know how all the extra foam will split the heating bill in half.

$18.00 a month sounds far fetched for a reasonable sized spa with regular use, unless you pay $.05 per kwh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here