Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electricity $0.50 KWH - what you would you do

Posted by piaa (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 10:48

What a fabulous, fabulous site - thank you everyone who contributes.

I received a lot of fantastic help over on the kitchen forum and now our attention is turning to a possible pool and I have to admit I know NOTHING so please forgive me but I am reading all I can on this site.

A little background - we live on the island of St John in the US Virgin Islands and we are thinking about putting in a small plunge pool - probably 10' to 15' by 15' to 18' max and as I am in the beginning stages my first question is regarding a pool pump (need one right - told you I know nothing) Given our electricity is currently 50 cents per KWH and is expected to rise yearly do you have any advise on a relatively energy efficient pump.

Thanking you in advance - and see you soon with question number 2 :)

Piaa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electricity $0.50 KWH - what you would you do

A variable speed pump will run sloooow so as not o use much electricity. Big pipes will reduce friction loss meaning it will be easy to move the water to be filtered.

Scott

o

Thanks Scott - have you heard about this company?
http://www.ecopoolpumps.com/
Piaa

o

Yes but they don't offer complete solutions, don't use less power than either Pentair or Jandy variable speed pumps, and IMHO, have no business in the new installation market, only the replacement market and then, I would be hesitant at choosing them for my customers.

Scott

o

If you read the literature, they are basically describing a two speed motor that uses a run capacitor which improves the low speed efficiency. A.O. Smith now sells two speed motors with run capacitors and they claim the efficiency is about 20% better. Some of the other manufactures may start to use these new two speed motors.

The Whisperflo 1 HP full rated pump will use about 380 watts on low speed with a flow rate of 42 GPM. On the same plumbing, their 1 HP full rated pump would deliver about 42 GPM at 320 watts or about 20% more efficient which is about what A.O.Smith is claiming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here